Chapter 12: Change of Plans

The rest of the week was filled with Steve and I trying to "bump into" Robin, but never quite succeeding. Every time we saw her, we chickened out and ended up hanging out instead. Tonight Steve and I were hanging out in my living room drinking some Slurpees we had gotten at a gas station, suddenly we hear a knock at the door. I glance over at Steve, who is currently laying on my living room floor and watching the ceiling fan spin. Seriously, it takes so little to entertain this man. He looks back at me for a few seconds and shrugs as I get up to answer the door. Another knock sounds as I make my way to the front door and undo the lock. I open my front door to find Nancy Wheeler standing in the snow holding a notebook.

Except, it's not her notebook. It's mine, well, I guess it's more Steve's now. Oh sweet mother of god. What has he done now? 

Nancy looks over my shoulder and starts to speak, "Hey Y/n, is Steve here?" She looks over my shoulder for the second time and squints a bit. I know she can see Steve lying on the floor behind me, and seeing as I am Steve's wing woman, I smile as sweetly as possible and nod. I step aside and let her in.

I shut the door behind me as she continues to talk, "He left this in Chemistry today. I went to drop it off at his house, but he wasn't home. So I figured he must be here." I guess that was the logical conclusion since I and Steve we pretty much inseparable now, but part of me still wondered how Nancy knew where I lived. Must be those reporter skills I guess, or she was stalking me. I chose to believe the former at this moment.

I hear steve whispering multiple shits from the living room and an odd amount of muffled banging and thumping. I step in front of the doorway, blocking Nancy from the living room as I shout, "Steve! Nancy's here!" 

A few moments later, after even more muffled shits were said, Steve appears behind me and I step to the side. He leans against the doorframe and attempts to be 'casual' like he's told me to be so many times. It never works for me, but it works perfectly for him. He somehow looks like he's been leaning against this doorframe his whole life. After a few beats of awkward silence and shifting feet, I decide to leave the kids to it.

"Alright, well. I've got to go, uh, let my dog in." I say as I brush past Steve and give him a wink.

I go to the living room and pick up the remote as I hear some laughter from the entryway. I guess it's going pretty well. I scroll through channels for a few minutes and eventually land on some stupid game show. A few more minutes pass and I hear the front door shut as Steve saunters back into the living room with the biggest grin I think I've ever seen.

"What are you smiling at Smartass?" I ask as he walks over to the couch and sits down.

"Guess who just asked Nancy Wheeler on a date!?" He says, looking at me and doing a fake drumroll on the coffee table.

"Oooo. This is a tough one. Let me think for a second," I joke as he rolls his eyes. "I've got it! Tommy!" This earns me a soft smack to the back of the head with the notebook Nancy gave back to him. 

"No Dumbass! I did!" he says excitedly, practically bouncing up and down in his seat. I had never seen him this excited before. He was practically walking on sunshine.

I roll my eyes and sarcastically reply, "Oh wow! I never could've guessed that!" He stops bouncing to glare at me. "Seriously Steve, congrats! I know you've wanted to do that for a while now," I say with a smile. "When are you guys going out?"

"We're going to the movies tomorrow," he says, finally calming down a bit and putting his feet up on the coffee table.

"You're joking," I say as I stare at him and start to smile.