008. breakfast

the next morning, andie and evan were woken up by a knock on their door

"i'll get it." andie groaned, pulling herself off the bed towards the door.

her feet dragged across the floor, straightening up as she did so.

she fixed her hair quickly and opened it, revealing josh standing at the doorway.

"good morning! i apologize if i woke you, i just wanted to inform you two that breakfast will be ready in a bit so..." josh spoke.

"thank you, josh. evan and i will be down soon." andie nodded, giving a small smile.

"see you soon." he smiled, "i'm going to be going on a ride, so i will not be joining you this morning. i will see you afterwards." he spoke.

"i'll see you later." andie smiled, earning a nod from josh as she watched him walk down the corridor.

andie shut the door and immediately opened the dresser, trying to find something decent to wear for the day. it didn't take long. she ended up choosing a pink, flowy dress that was so light you could hardly tell it was even pink. she simply brushed her hair and wore the deep brown flats she wore the first day.

"evan, hurry up!" andie rushed, waiting for her best friend behind the restroom door.

evan stepped out, wearing pants that were the shade of black coffee, a white dress shirt with sleeves that went up to the elbows, and a waistcoat that matched his pants.

as he stepped out, he looked at andie with a small smile, "so, does it... does it look nice?"

"i like it, you look handsome, evan." she smiled, looking at his choice of clothing, "and you aren't wearing a blue striped shirt and khakis for once." she giggled, earning a playful smack on the shoulder from evan.

"come on, i'm hungry." evan groaned, walking down the corridor as andie began to follow, "are you sure this color looks good on me?"

"it looks fine, i just think it's too dark, you fit light colors better." she admitted.

"i agree with you — for once." evan joked.

the two wandered around the castle before finding the dining room. it was like the rest of the castle; very monochromatic and slightly dark, maroon transparent curtains were hung at every window and the walls had mahogany wallpaper with fancy patterns on them.

the dining table matched the room well; it was made out of dark oak and the length of the table reached the other end. the decorations were what matched the room; the table runner was a deep blood red with damask patterns, and black candleholders with tall white candles.

to andie, the dining room looked like something that would come out of a vampire movie.

"the candles look like they're the brightest thing in the room." evan whispered, earning an agreeing nod from andie.

the two didn't know where to sit, they ended up sitting on one side of the table next to each other, they didn't want to be separated.

a couple of the castle's maids walked in, pushing a cart with what seemed to be plates with cloches over them. once the maids appeared by them, they placed the plates in front of the two.

"thank you! how's your morning?" andie asked, looking at the two maids who exchanged glances, "did — did i say something wrong?"

"no! it's just... no one has ever spoken to us in the castle — other than asking for something." one of them spoke.

"that's so rude. well, you finally have someone to talk to! i'm andie, and this is my friend, evan. nice to meet you two." she introduced, offering them both a bright smile.

"nice to meet you two as well. enjoy your breakfast!" the other maid spoke, giving them a curtsy before leaving the room.

the two lifted the cloches which revealed some thick slices of bread and two small containers that contained butter and seeded jam.

"there's seeds in the jam... that's fancy but weird." evan spoke.

he observed the condiments, causing andie to look at what he was talking about.

"just eat, evan." andie sighed, picking up the butterknife.