Career day

Peter was in class. It was his last period and he couldn't wait to get out of school. Mr Stark told him they were going to add new features on his suit. The bell rang but before he could leave, the teacher spoke up.

"Alright class, don't forget about career day ! Your parents will be there to talk about their job. It'll take place tomorrow afternoon."

Most people were happy about career day because there's no class for a whole afternoon, but Peter was desperate. It was the day he dreaded the most of the year. Before, his uncle was the one to come but since he died Peter had no one to bring. May didn't have time, she was working double shifts and he didn't want to bother her, she needed to rest. He got used to pity looks from his classmates and mean comments from Flash.

Peter got out of the class and headed to the Tower.

"Hi Mr Stark."

"Hey kid. Let's get to work."

An hour later, they were almost finished. Tony noticed Peter was quieter than usual.

"So what's up with you today ?"

"W-what are you talking about ?"

"Come on kid, you've said like, 3 sentences since you came in."

"It's nothing. Just... this thing at school."

Tony didn't push any farther, knowing the kid wouldn't say anything. They finished the suit in silence and Peter left 30 minutes later. 

"FRIDAY call May."

"Calling May Parker."

"Hey Tony, what's up ? I'm at the hospital right now. Is Peter okay ?"

"Yeah he's fine, he just left. Just called you cause he seemed, uh, weird I guess ? Really quiet."

May sighed at the end of the line. "There's this thing at school tomorrow, career day, where you're supposed to bring a parent at school, and I can't come, I have to work."

"Oh. I see. I won't bother you any longer. See ya."

He just had an idea.

...

The next day was terrible for Peter. He had to bear Flash's insults all morning. Then the afternoon came and he just wanted to throw up seeing all these happy kids with their happy parents. Disgusting. He decided to just stick with Ned and his mother for the rest of the day.

They were in the auditorium, waiting for everyone to arrive when Peter's spidey senses went off.

"Hey Parker", he turned around to see Flash and a man he assumed was his father, "Are you feeling lonely without your mommy ? You'd think your aunt would care, being the last member of your family but apparently she doesn't. Have you met my dad ? He works for Stark Industries. Maybe your best friend Tony Stark knows him."

"Eugene, what have i told you ? Don't talk to low class people. They are not worth our time."

With that, he walked away, his son following him.

10 minutes later, the auditorium was full and the principal started speaking.

"Hello, parents and students of Midtown High School. You are here today for career day, so let's not waste anymore time and let's get started. We'll call you in alphabetic order. When you hear your name, you may get up and make your way to the stage."

It went on for 2 hours. Parents talking about their jobs, students comparing their parents' jobs... Peter was trying so hard not to fall asleep. They were moving towards the Ps and before he knew it, they were calling his name.

"Parker."

"Uh, I- I don't have anyone with me, just skip please."

The entire auditorium looked at him in pity and Peter looked down, using all his self-control not to roll his eyes. He then heard gasps and the entire room went silent.

"Forgetting about me Underoos ? I see."

"Mr Stark ? What are you doing here ?"

"It's career day isn't it ? Y'know Pete, for a genius you're not very bright sometimes. And it's Tony. For the 26th time this week. Now come here, I believe this is our turn ?" 

The principal just nodded, too starstruck to say anything. Peter shyly made his way to the stage and stood next to his mentor.

"Alright", Tony said loudly, "Let's begin. You know who I am, this is Peter Parker, he's my personal intern at Stark Industries. Speaking of which, I didn't have time to prepare anything, y'know, nobody told me about today so" he gave Peter a pointed look, "I just decided to grab a prototype the kid and I are working on."

After the presentation and many, many questions, it was finally over.

"HOW DO YOU KNOW PENIS PARKER ?!"

Okay, guess it wasn't totally over.

Everyone looked towards Flash in shock. His dad didn't seem to care, too preoccupied by his phone.

"What did you just call my kid ?" 

The bully seemed to have realized his mistake and his eyes widened in fear. Tony didn't wait for his answer and turned to Peter.

"Since when has he been bullying you ?"

The boy seemed hesitant.

"Pete."

"Since freshman year." he said quietly. 

"And has the school done anything about it ?" This time he was speaking to the principal and the teachers. They looked ashamed.

"I-I, uh... we-"

"Flash's parents donate a lot of money to the school so the teachers let him do whatever he wants." MJ's voice echoed in the auditorium.

"I see. So, spoiled brat and incompetent parents."

"I'm sorry Mr Stark, but with all due respect, how dare y-" Mr Thompson started but Tony didn't let him finish.

"Wait. You look familiar..."

"Uh, yes sir, I'm the head lawyer of Stark Industries." he answered smugly.

"Oh, are you ? Well not anymore buddy. You're fired. And you, Trash or whatever, be careful. If you ever look at my kid the wrong way again I'll make sure you never get into a good college. I don't care how much money your parents got, I've got more."

"W-what ? But, Mr-"

Tony stopped listening after that. He wrapped his arm around Peter's shoulders and they walked out of the room. 

"Let's go kid, I've got pizza waiting for us at the tower."