Chapterish 67

MORNING RUSH

I roll over to an empty bed. I pick up my phone from the nightstand and see it's just before 8 AM.

"Trix?" I mumble into the pillow.

"Morning Ems," she says from the doorway.

"You already made coffee?" I ask.

"Duh." Trix puts a mug down beside me. "Now get up, bitch. It's my wedding day!"

"Okay, I'm up, geesh." I prop myself up and bring the mug under my nose for the black coffee to wake me up even more. "And you already showered?"

Trix has a towel wrap sitting on her head.

"Did you go on a 10-mile run too, Meg?" I tease her.

"Had to get an early start." She shrugs. "Blow-out is at 8 AM sharp."

"I can't believe you and Travis get married today. You're still 16 in my mind. We all are."

Sappy Emmy is not who I wanted to deal with today.

"Aw, come here, you sentimental sap." Trix nestles her head into the top of my hair.

"Stop. Stop." I stand up and stretch in front of the open balcony.

I hear screaming outside and look down at the boys in the pool -Nate and Alex and Brody -and Meg doing laps. Smh.

"Morning pool party," Trix says, coasting up to my side and peering down into the yard.

"No, no. You can't see!" I yell at Trix as Travis starts walking to the pool. "Bad luck."

"Ugh, fine," Trix pouts. "Time for my blow-out anyway, babe."

"Go get it, babe." I catcall as she walks out the door. The robe is so short she almost flashes her cute little butt.

I soak up the Floridian sun, finishing my coffee out against the railing. I can see the party staff setting up tents and tables along the cliffs. Two florists are already at work crafting the archway.

"Get down here, bitch," Meg yells from the pool. "Pre-wedding swim!"

I roll my eyes but do a once-over to make sure no one else (ahem, Brooks) has joined the party outside.

"Coming!"

I pull on my old maid robe and, one quick trip to the bathroom for some pineapple moisturizer later, I'm walking down the hall, empty coffee mug in hand.

The whole hallway is marble, and it feels nice and air conditioned. The floor is cool beneath my bare feet. V hotely. I pass a mirror the size of a car and wow, I could really use my own blow-out right about now. Last night's cryfest didn't do much for my curls.

I reach the landing at the top of the stairs. It's basically a mini foyer. A potted plant, the baby version of the one in my room, rests on the table. I finish rubbing the lotion across my collar bones. With one hand inside my robe, gripping my boob, I run headfirst into someone exiting the nearest bedroom.

Thanks to the bare feet, I almost wipe out, which would have been preferrable, actually, considering who catches me.

"Woah, watch it."

"Thanks," I mumble, putting at least five feet between Brooks and me.

I look up, feeling incredibly stupid and small, and see a lazy grin spread across his face. My eyes sweep over his messy bedhead and his bare, disgustingly sexy abs. I hate that I love everything about it.

Brooks pushes his hair back and pulls at the drawstring on his gray sweats. His head is tilted downward, the way he does when he's getting ready to whisper something or joke about someone else to me.

I look around at the no one else present.

"Morning," he says, sheepish. I notice he looks back at his bedroom, but try to ignore him.

"Morning?" I ask it like a question. Like that's the best he's got?

"Ems." His voice is barely audible. I'm not even sure my name came from his lips at all.

"What?" My voice comes out all acidy and sour.

"There's a lot I wanted to say –before, I mean –I wanted to do this." Brooks grapples with the words like he's never spoken them before, like he's never had a mouth before.

Wanted to say? Before? Do what?

I don't know what to say. When in doubt, just stand and look like a fucking moron, apparently.

Jfc, Em.

Brooks's eyes dart back to the half-cracked door to his bedroom. I think I see a flurry of movement inside, but I hope it's just a trick of the light or Brody or... Shit. Brody is down at the pool.

Right then the door to his bathroom slams shut.

"It's not what you think–"

I put up my hand to quiet him; it's so close it's almost touching his chest.

"I don't think anything," I say plainly.

Whatever vulnerability Brooks was showing before has completely evaporated now. He backs up and goes back to stretching his demi-god arms.

I stare awkwardly, cursing myself for not leaving. Brooks shifts like some dodgy fucker and I can't take this silence anymore!

"So," Brooks mumbles, scratching the back of his neck.

I gaze hungrily at the tattoos crawling over his bicep.

"So." My voice mirrors his. "Happy Trix and Travis Day!"

I fake a cheerful tone, but even faking it takes too much out of me.

"Thought this day would never come," Brooks says, clearly joking.

"Well, okay." I shrug, biting my lip and tasting the coconut lip balm I plastered all over it earlier.

I start moving towards the top step right as Brooks moves in the same direction.

"I'm headed downstairs too," he says, grinning way too much.

"Course you are," I sigh under my breath.

I take the stairs at an above average pace, praying Brooks forgot something and turns around or decides not to come down altogether.

The secret staff that apparently comes with the house has laid out breakfast all over every inch of the kitchen.

Coffees, teas, juices, bagels, croissants, muffins, yogurt, bacon, eggs, sausages, and whatever else you can think up.

I pour more coffee into the mug Trix gave me and grab a cup full of raw almonds and organic granola. Brooks grabs a green wheatgrass looking shot from the juice bar and walks straight through the kitchen without another word to me.