Chapter 5

Two bits POV
I finally have Katie!! Ive missed her so much. It's been 7 fricken years. Ma's never been the same, she keeps taking on more and more work hours, probably to hide the void that Katie left. And when she is home she just mops around and sometimes watches Mickey with me. She refuses to make cake with frosting, and she won't buy peanut butter crackers. Because those were Katie's favorite things. Ma couldn't stop making cake because of me but she won't put on frosting because Katie always licked it all off before anyone could touch it. Now ma will feel so much better because we have our Katie back.
When I was carrying Katie she fell asleep in my arms. I wouldn't let her walk being that she had no shoes on, plus she was all beat up. What the hell happened?! Like I know it wasn't Socs because I was right there when she got off the train, but what else. Plus the gash on her forehead. She acted like she didn't know it was there, maybe she didn't. But one thing I do know is Katie is a pretty bad liar and she obviously knows who hit her like that. When I find out I'll kill 'em.
Anyway, I finally made it. I walked onto the Curtis's porch and kicked the door open. I almost walked into Dal, who became interested in why I was carrying a girl.
"Darry!" I yelled
"Yes twobit, there is cake in the icebox."
"No. Get out here and help my sister."
"Sister?" Everyone yelled, stopping what they were doing and looking at me. Dal was the only one who didn't look totally surprised. Whatever
"Yes my sister. It's a long story. Darry she's got a gash on her forehead."
"Okay. Soda go and get the first aid kit" he instructed, getting up from his chair. So, I guess he wasn't in the other room. Oops.
"Ok" Soda said, taking off into the other room. I laid Katie on the couch. Once Soda came back, I relaxed a little on the chair, Katie was passed out, Darry started getting whatever he needed out of the kit. I looked over to Dal. He face seemed emotionless, but his eyes said different. They looked sad and really pissed. Huh. I looked back at Darry, he slid his needle through her skin to start stitching. The door slammed with a really loud bang. Dal was gone.
"Darry is she going to be okay?"
"Yea, just gotta patch her up, I'm surprised she hasn't woken up. This must hurt like hell." Darry continued to stitch.
"Will she feel it when she wakes up?"
"Well if I finish before she wakes then she'll be in no more pain then when it happened."
"Dar she I don't think she knew she had a gash."
"How is that possible?" Steve objected, all cocky-like.
"Well if she hit her head while being hit, she probably wouldn't have known the difference." Darry stated, his jaw tightened a bit.
"What was up with Dal?" Pony asked
"I'm not sure. I'll talk to him later" I said, not too worried about him.
I looked over to really look at my sister. A bit older now, she still looks like me though, as beautiful as before, but far too skinny. I was able to see the outline of her rib cage through her shirt, not each rib but the main outline, and all the bones in her face, that weren't swelled up, were so defined. Her thighs probably wouldn't touch even if I pushed them together. Yeah, way too skinny; no wonder I barely noticed I was carrying her. I could see the bruises still forming on her face and neck, and the bruises all over her legs. If I didn't know better, I'd say she got hit by a car. I looked at her outfit. All she was wearing were some short enough shorts and a long sleeve flannel with the bottom kinda tied up, but not so much you could see very much skin. Her long brown hair, shiny like a new penny, Darry had pushed back to get to the gash. And no shoes. Jee.

Katie's POV
I heard voices. Where was I? Who were the voices? Then it hit me. I had found my brother today. I sat up straight and my head started to spin. Woah.
"Easy Katie. Sit back and relax."
"Who are you?" I said now focusing on the muscled boy in front of me, "Wheres my brother?"
"Right behind you" I looked over and sure and shit there was my brother. "Oh sorry. This is Darry. That's Steve, Sodapop, Ponyboy, and that's Johnny." Keith said, pointing to each boy.
"Oh" was all I could seem to say.
We all sat in silence watching Mickey. Then an idea popped into my head.
"Let's play 5 facts" I said
"Ok what do we do?" I think soda asked.
"Well every states 5 facts about themselves so I can get to know you."
"Ok let's play" I'm guessing Steve said, not very thrilled.
"Ok pone you go first" Keith said.
"Alright. Well my nicknames are pony, or pone. I'm a grade ahead of my class. I hate Socs. Johnny's my bestfriend. And um I love books and sunsets."
"Cool. Uh, Steve?" I said
"Ok. Um, don't call me Stevie. Sodas my bestfriend. I work at the DX. I hate school, when I go. Chocolate cake is the best."
"Yeah." I almost yelled. "Soda your turn."
"Yessss. Ok so I also work at the DX. Darry's my big brother. Steve's my bestfriend. I love drag races. Girls are pretty much attached to me and I hate it."
"Oh that sucks?" I said scrunching my eyebrows. What's so bad about that? Haha. "Uh Darry?" I continued.
"Okay. Soda AND Ponyboy are my brothers." He made a big emphasis on the word and, while jokingly glaring at Soda. "I roof houses. Our parents died in a car crash. I like football. And my door is always unlocked for my friends."
"Oh I'm sorry about your parents." I said, wholeheartedly. "Alright,.... Two bit.... Your turn" I said, I'm working on his nickname thing.
"ALRIGHT! I love BEER. AND CAKE. I love my 10 inch switch. I HaTe the Socs like everyone else. I missed you. Oh and there's one other member of our gang."
"Who?"
"Gotta wait. We can't introduce him until he's here."
"Ughh alright. Um Johnny it's your turn."
"Um okay. Well uh the uh other gang member is uh like my big brother. Uh I'm friends with ponyboy. This gang um is my whole life. My parents are uh abusive. I hate my real home if uh you want to call it that. And uh well I despise the socs"
"Wow Johnny."
"You can also call me johnnycakes. If you want the, gang calls me that."
"Ok cool."
"Katie. you have to play too" Keith said.
"Alright. I love to drink and smoke. Micky Mouse is life. My dad took me away 7 years ago. I lived in New York. When I was there I met my forever bestfriend Da-" I was cut off by the door slamming against the wall and an older Dallas strutting in. He looked at us all, resting his eyes on me and sat on the floor with us.
Everyone must have forgot I said anything. Because Two got right to the point.
"Katie, this is the other gang member, Dallas Winston." I said nothing. Neither did Dal, we just stared at each other.
"Uh. Dal we are playing 5 questions" Two said awkwardly.
Dal cocked an eyebrow at me. When me and him first met, this is what we played. I saw a small smirk crack on Dals face.
"And uh I guess it's your turn."
By the look in Dals eye I could tell he'd been drinking.
He cleared his throat "Ok. Well I'm the baddest greaser in town. My police record is a mile long. I like to drink. And smoke. I used to live in New York. And I want to know right now who did that to your face Katie, was it your bastard of a father?" He said raising his voice at the end.
Everyone looked at him wide-eyed, then at me, then back again. Disbelieve spread on their face. Keith especially. No one knew what to think.
"Well. Um. It uh was um...... Uh" damn I really have to work on that.
"Damn it Katie. Why did you let it get that bad?" Dal practically yelled
"Well. um. Sorry?"
"Don't. Don't you dare say that"