Chapter 8: Shoveling Work

After the interview, Deanna smiled before standing up and reaching out her hand. "Thank you, Cassie."

Cassie nodded and shook the woman's hand before practically sprinting out of the room. 

~~~

No one actually filled Cassie in on what happened in the community before she got there. 

She wasn't sure if they just assumed someone else would tell her, or if they thought she just wouldn't care. 

Neither was true. 

As she walked around Alexandria she could feel anger radiating off of the people there. She guessed it had something to do with the two dead people she saw at the meeting when she first arrived. 

The fact that she had no idea who they were bothered her. 

The fact that no one told her who they were bothered her. 

Cassie pondered all this while strolling through the community. 

At least, until she bumped into a kid, who she guessed was a bit older than her. 

"Sorry," She mumbled, before starting to walk again.

"Wait, hey," The boy caught up to her. Cassie didn't stop walking, but she did slow down. "You're uh, you're new here, yeah? Cassie, right? Daryl's kid?"

Cassie stopped abruptly. "Why does everyone think he's my dad?" She said to no one in particular. Turning back to the boy, she clarified, "Daryl's not my dad."

The boy's face blushed. "Oh, uh, sorry. It's just- you're in the same house- so I thought..."

"Whatever." Cassie continued walking.

"But... you are new here, yeah? And your name is Cassie?"

She nodded. "How'd you know my name?"

"I heard Rick talking to my mom about you."

Cassie raised an eyebrow. "What'd he say?"

The boy shrugged. "Just that he wanted you to get to know the kids around here, figured it'd be good to have some friends around your age." Cassie scoffed. "I'm Ron, by the way."

It took her a minute to realize he was trying to be friends with her. That in and of itself bothered her. But nonetheless, she did have to at least try to become part of the community. 

"I'd say my name's Cassie, but you already knew that."

Ron laughed, causing the girl to give him a sideways glance. It wasn't that funny. Maybe a chuckle, but full on laughter? 

"It wasn't that funny," She said. Ron immediately shut up, making Cassie feel like a jerk. She tried to make him feel better. "I mean, maybe it was a little?" 

Ron gave her a quick smile, which she returned. 

Cassie sighed. Talking with people was horrible. She didn't realize how much she hated people until she had to socialize with them. 

They continued walking for the next few minutes in silence- something she was incredibly thankful for. 

The two passed by tons of Alexandrians, who all waved at them. Cassie was amazed at how the second she was with one of their people, their irritation towards her instantly disappeared. 

Cassie saw a man crouching down with a shovel in a garden. Putting the shovel down, he yelled, "Hey, Ron!"

"Hey Spencer," The boy called, giving him a small wave. Ron then changed their walking direction to head towards the man.