Chapter 24: Averages

As the car began to move faster at a solid pace, Cassie let out a laugh. "I'm doing it! I'm driving!"

"Keep yer eyes on the road," Daryl replied. 

But he was smiling. And so was Rick. 

~~~

Cassie parked the car out front of a barn for sorghum.

"Well I'll be damned," Rick smiled. Getting out of the car, the three walked towards the barn.

Cassie beamed when they saw a truck. "I bet y'all it's filled with supplies," Cassie said, walking towards it.

Daryl grabbed her arm, pulling her back with him and Rick. "Or walkers."

She let out an exasperated sigh. "Would it kill you to be positive? Just for once?"

Daryl grunted, walking past her. Counting to three him and Rick opened the back of the truck to see boxes filled with supplies.

Cassie smirked at him, running forward and jumping into the truck to look through everything.

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Rick glance at Daryl, muttering, "Law of averages." Daryl shook his head, letting out a small smile. "See any toothpaste?" Rick asked Cassie. 

She was furiously going through each and every box, grinning wider with each one. She turned around, holding up a crate filled with small boxes of toothpaste. "Enough for a lifetime," She laughed.

Rick smiled, hopping into the back of the truck as well. Daryl watched as they both excitedly chatted about the future of Alexandria. 

"A'ight, let's get 'er back," He said, walking towards the front of the truck. 

"What about the car?" Cassie asked.

Rick looked at the car, then back to the truck. "We'll come back later and get it."

"Or..." Cassie began, before getting abruptly cut off by Daryl.

"Ya ain't drivin' on yer own."

Cassie huffed, jumping down from the truck. "Fine, but I call shotgun!"

She went to run towards the front when Rick grabbed her around the waist spinning her around. "Nope."

Cassie screeched. "Rick! I called it!"

Daryl chuckled at the scene before him. It made him wonder what Cassie's dad was like. Did he do that with her? Watching Rick with Carl and Judith and Cassie, made him think about what it would have been like to be a dad. He would've made a shit father, probably taking after his old man, he thought bitterly. 

Daryl shook himself out of his thoughts and climbed into the driver's seat, watching as Rick put Cassie down before opening the back door for her. 

Grumbling, she climbed in and shut the door. Rick went to sit in the passenger's seat. 

"We ready?" Earning nods all around, Daryl started up the truck and began driving back to Alexandria. 

~~~

Per Rick's insistence, they took a different route back. He kept going on and on about the "law of averages" which was clearly getting on Daryl's nerves.

"I'm telling you man; after all the shit we've been through, we're due for a few good things."

Cassie found herself nodding along to Rick's argument. She wanted more than anything to believe that things were finally looking up. To be fair, they already were seeing as they found a shitload of supplies.