Chapter 17: Missed Targets

"Does Daryl know?" He asked quietly.

Cassie paused. "There's nothing for him to know."

"If you don't tell him, I will."

Cassie turned her head to face him. "Snitches get stitches, Carl; and besides- there's nothing to tell."

~~~

Cassie's weeks following her conversation with Carl, were spent with anyone and everyone but Carl. 

Mostly though, as per Daryl's insistence, she was with him learning how to shoot a crossbow. 

They were towards the back of the community, which Rick deemed a good and safe area to practice.

Cassie held up the crossbow and fired another arrow- missing her target for the thousandth time that day.

"Yer shit at this," Daryl remarked, walking over to grab the arrow lodged yards away from the actual target. 

"Thanks," She replied dryly. 

Daryl walked back handing her the arrow. "I ain't gettin' this next one."

Cassie nodded. "I didn't ask you to get the first twenty."

"Whatever," He grunted. "Try it again."

She sighed, notching the arrow. Taking a deep breath, she lined it up with the target and shot it. 

The bolt hit the wall.

Cassie groaned. 

Daryl stared impressed. "Huh."

"What?"

"Ye managed to get worse."

Cassie rolled her eyes, shoving the crossbow at Daryl. She walked over to the arrow, and yanked it out of the wall. Walking back she held the bolt out to him.

"Where'd you learn to shoot anyways?"

"My brother," He said, loading another bolt into the crossbow. Without another word, Cassie watched as he raised the bow before shooting the arrow, hitting the target dead center. 

"Show off," She muttered. 

"Ya jus' need more practice, s' all."

Cassie groaned. "I don't even see the point of this. The bow's heavy, it takes forever to load, wouldn't it just be quicker to I don't know-" Cassie made a stabbing motion with her hand- "Stab things?"

Daryl scoffed, shaking his head. "Nah. Can't stab from far away. Bow's quiet, won't draw attention. Besides, ya need a way of defendin' yerself without hurtin' yer stomach."

"What about Morgan's stick? I could do that."

Daryl shook his head. "Too much movement, could hurt yer stomach."

"What about just like... a normal bow?" Cassie said.

Notching another arrow, Daryl replied, "Too much strain on yer arm."

Cassie huffed. "Okay, well what about this: You only have your crossbow. We don't have another, so there's no point in me learning how to use somethin' we don't even have."

Daryl paused, shooting the arrow, hitting the target dead center- again. 

"Would ya quit fightin' me on this?" He said, walking over to get the arrows. Cassie followed. "Ye know, if ya put in the same effort into shootin' as ya do arguin' with me, ya wouldn't be missin' all these damn targets."

"Whatever."

Daryl sighed, knowing that Cassie was clocked out for the day. "Why don't we take a break for today?" He suggested.

Cassie crossed her arms. "Really? It's not even dinner yet."

He nodded. "We're pickin' up bright an' early tomorrow so no foolin' around."

Cassie smiled, giving him a mock salute. "Yes, sir." Walking off she yelled, "See ya!"

 Daryl gave a faint smile watching her walk away. "See ya kid."

~~~

Once Cassie was out of his line of vision, she made a beeline towards the gardens.

Seeing that Spencer didn't notice her approaching, she casually walked up and stood facing away from him. 

"Fancy seeing you here," She said, grinning at her unofficial boyfriend. 

Spencer looked up and smiled. Putting down the hand shovel, he stood up and hugged her from behind. "Well, hello to you too."

Cassie giggled as he gave a quick kiss on neck. 

Spencer feigned surprise. "Did the great Cassie Johnson just giggle?"

She turned around and lightly smacked him. "Shut up."

"I believe she did!"

"It was an accident," Cassie said blushing.

Spencer raised an eyebrow. "Oh really? Well then, I guess we'll just have to fix that."

She stared at him in confusion, when he suddenly picked her up bridal style and spun her around. 

Cassie laughed. "Spencer," She said in between laughs, "Put me down."

"Nope."

~~~

Carl watched in disgust at Cassie and Spencer. 

"I don't get why she's even with him," He complained to Enid. 

She looked at him unamused, having been interrupted looking at her comic. "I don't get why you care so much."

"He's too old for her. Like- that's gotta be illegal or something, right?"

Enid scoffed, causing Carl to look at her. "What are you gonna do? Call the cops?" Carl frowned. "Look, they're just having fun, see?" Enid pointed at the pair laughing and spinning around. "Let them have their fun."

Carl sighed, sitting down on the steps next to her. "But what if their fun gets her hurt?"

Enid put down her comic and stared at him. "Then you'll be there to make sure she's okay, instead of telling her you told her so."

He sighed in defeat, knowing Enid was right. Standing up, he said, "I should go say hi or-" Enid yanked him back down. "What?"

"Seriously? We just had that talk and-" She stared at his blank face. "Did you listen to anything I said?"

Carl looked down. "Yeah."

"Liar." Enid continued watching him, as he stared at Cassie and Spencer. "You like her," She observed.

Carl immediately blushed. "What? No I don't. Why would you say that?"

Enid laughed, causing his face to heat up more. "Look at you! Your face is all red. You so like her."

Carl shook his head in denial. "I don't like her."

"Yes, you do. You're so in love."

"Whatever," He grumbled. Enid chuckled, knowing she was right. 

"Just- don't push her away, alright?"

Carl looked up at Enid. "What do you mean?"

She sighed. "Just... don't do anything that would ruin your guys' friendship... or whatever weird thing you two've got going on."

Carl snorted. "I don't think she'd consider us friends."

"And she never will if you keep harassing her about Spencer."

Carl groaned. "I don't like it."

"Yeah, well," Enid said, going back to her comment. 

Carl stood up for real this time. "Enid?" The girl looked up. "Thanks," He said.

Enid smiled in return.