Chapter 15: Fine

Daryl stood up, "You need to rest."

Cassie began shaking her head, before stopping when Daryl gave her the look. Defeated, she sighed and placed her head back on the pillow.

"I'll come back later an' check on ya. An' if yer not here when I do, I'm gonna kick yer ass."

"That's child abuse," Cassie weakly called to him.

All she got was a chuckle in response.

~~~

Cassie spent the next few days in everlasting boredom. 

All she did was lie in bed, have checkups with Denise, and talk to like two people. She was going crazy. 

Daryl stopped by like five thousand times a day to make sure she was following Denise's order to rest. 

Aaron and Maggie checked in once in a while to fill her in on what was happening around Alexandria, something she was incredibly grateful for.

Whenever Rick came to see Carl- which was also like five thousand times a day- he always said hi to her and asked how she was feeling; to which she always replied super- this in turn, always earned a chuckle and a pat on the shoulder. The gesture was so normal, that she wasn't even mad that it made her feel like a kid.

As much as she loved their visits, the best part of her day came when Spencer stopped by. She couldn't believe that he was taking time out of his day to come see her. To make sure she was okay. 

Of course, the only time he could stop by was in like, the middle of the night. 

This, Cassie found exciting. She felt like she was living some super secret life with a super secret love interest. She loved it. 

The first night he did it, she asked why.

---

"You know, you can come visit during the day... unless, you're like a vampire or something," She joked, earning a laugh from Spencer.

Faking mock surprise, she gasped, "Oh my god! Are you a vampire?"

Spencer laughed even more. 

"I'd come during the day, but I get the feeling Daryl and Rick don't like me too much," He said.

"That's not true... well for Daryl at least... I mean, he's never actually talked to you, has he?"

Spencer shook his head.

"So then," Cassie continued, "Why would you think he doesn't like you?"

Spencer smiled, leaning in close to her, "Because he knows I like you."

Cassie blushed. Changing the topic, she said, "Well from what you said about the whole car thing, it's not really a shock Rick doesn't like you."

"Ha!" He said. "You're right. I screwed up."

Cassie laughed. "Oh yeah, big time."

"You know, I'd jokingly hit your shoulder as a response... but seeing as you're already injured, I guess this'll have to do."

Spencer gave Cassie a quick kiss on the lips, to which she eagerly responded to. 

He pulled away leaving a very flustered Cassie. "You're right," She said. Spencer raised an eyebrow. "Daryl would definitely not like you if he saw you doing that," Cassie grinned. 

---

Daryl sat in the chair next to Cassie's bed, watching as Denise checked her injuries.

"All right, well, I think you're good to go."

"Yes!" Cassie fist pumped and went to hop down from the bed. 

Right away, daryl jumped up and stopped her. 

"Bro, what the hell?"

"No jumpin'. Ye could hurt yourself."

Cassie rolled her eyes. "I feel fine."

Denise went to back him up. "Daryl's right, Cassie. You need to take it easy for at least the next two weeks, to give yourself time to heal."

Cassie groaned. "But I feel fine."

Denise smiled. "You feel fine now, because you haven't done anything. But I promise you, once you walk from here back home, you're already going to start feeling sore and tired."

This earned another groan from Cassie.

"Promise you'll take it easy?" Denise said.

"Yeah, I promise."

"Good."

Under the watchful eyes of Daryl and Denise, Cassie carefully got down from the bed. Once she leaned off of it, her legs gave a slight wobble.

Daryl instantly reached his arm out to steady her. She swatted it away. "I'm fine." Daryl grunted.

"Thanks, Denise," Cassie smiled.

"Of course. I still want you to check in with me everyday, so I know how you're doing. And if I don't see you, I'm giving Daryl permission to drag you in."

"Okay, okay. I won't miss my checkups. Promise," Cassie said, slowly walking towards the front door.

"Bye, Denise!" She called, leaving the building.

Denise sighed, sitting down on Cassie's bed. "She is the hardest patient I have ever had," She said. 

Daryl chuckled. "Yeah. She's stubborn."

Denise sat up, adamantly shaking her head. "No, no, not just that. She argues on everything." She began to imitate Cassie, "I feel fine, I'm not thirsty, I don't want to eat, I'm not tired, blah blah blah," Denise finished. "It's exhausting."

Daryl stood there, a small smirk beginning to form. Denise saw this so she said, "Have fun taking care of her. I love her, sweet kid, but she's technically not my problem anymore, so..."

Daryl stopped smirking when he realized she was right. He was practically going to have to babysit Cassie until she was fully healed. 

"Shit. Thanks, Denise," He said, before also leaving the infirmary. 

~~~

Cassie knew it was only a matter of time before Daryl started hounding her to start resting again, so she made it her number one goal to go find Spencer.

"Thought you'd be here," She said, walking up to the garden where Spencer was working.

"Cassie!" He exclaimed, getting up to hug her.

She winced at the sudden contact.

"Shit, sorry."

"Nah, it's okay."

Spencer smiled. "So I see you've been let out?"

Cassie opened her arms and slowly spun around. "You know it. It feels so good to actually walk around again. I missed it."

"Yeah, soon we can start going on our walks again?" Spencer asked.

Cassie smiled. "Can't wait."

Spencer began to lean in to give her a kiss, before jumping back at the sound of Daryl's voice.

"Cassie!"

Cassie jumped as well, her face turning bright red. "What?" She yelled back.

"Let's go," He said, starting to walk away towards their house. 

Cassie sighed. "Maybe you're right," She said. "I don't think he likes you very much."

Spencer laughed. He glanced back to make sure Daryl wasn't looking before placing a quick kiss on her lips. She smiled.

"I should go. Denise gave Daryl permission to drag me back to the infirmary if I didn't follow her orders to rest."