Part 5: Rule Number Two

"What was rule number two again?"

"Don't hurt anyone."

They don't end up watching the last half of the movie. Shannon's fingers feel so good against his scalp and he loves the way she claws softly at the back of his neck when he does something she really likes. Bucky bites down gently on her bottom lip and she moans into his mouth. He likes kissing Shannon. A lot. It's nice to be normal. She calls him James - not Soldat, Sergeant, Bucky, or Buck. James. He hasn't been James for a long time. He could get used to being James.

Once they manage to tear themselves away from each other, Bucky picks her up and carries her into the bedroom. When he opens the door, a massive German shepherd bounds into the hallway, almost knocking him over. Shannon yelps and Bucky almost drops her.

"Sorry! That's Ace."

"Nice to meet you, Ace," Bucky replies as the dog jumps up and almost knocks him over. Bucky holds out one arm, laughing. "Whoa, boy! Easy!"

"Ace!" Shannon commands. "Sit!"

The dog whines and sits back. She turns back to Bucky, her arms wrapped around his neck.

"I've got it all under control."

He smirks as he sets her down on the ground. She giggles and looks around, tucking her hair behind her ear.

"I think I have some of Will's clothes here that he never took with him. There's a t-shirt and sweatpants. They should fit you."

"I'll just take the sweatpants," Bucky says.

She raises an eyebrow and he laughs, hoping that the blush in his cheeks isn't too noticeable.

"I'll sleep in this shirt. I get cold at night."

Shannon rifles through her drawer and pulls out a pair of black sweatpants along with what he assumes are her pajamas. She presses the pants into his hand as she walks past him to the bathroom.

"I'll give you some privacy."

"Thanks," Bucky whispers.

"If you need to shower in the morning, there are clean towels in the closet next to the bathroom."

He nods and quickly changes into the sweatpants. They're a little loose. He ties the drawstring tight around his waist and sits on the bed. It dawns on him how unusual this is. If this were a normal date and he was actually a normal person, they may have just had sex on the couch and called it a night. This feels so domestic. It's not uncomfortable. He wouldn't have stayed if he didn't want to — and he does. What's he going to say to Dr. Raynor? "Oh, yeah. We made out like teenagers and shared a bed." He remembers the last time he was with a woman like that before he became... this. He's afraid. What if he has a flashback? He's woken up violently, thrashing, punching, kicking. For a few seconds, it feels like his body is no longer his. He doesn't want to hurt her. That's a rule. A big rule.

Maybe he should just leave.

Shannon reappears in a cream-colored knee-length silk nightgown that clings to her hips. His breath catches in his chest. Her skin is pink from scrubbing her makeup off. She's gorgeous.

He doesn't want to leave. Bucky's eyes go wide.

"You look very pretty."

She laughs.

"I wore it on purpose because I thought you might like it," she confesses, her cheeks pink.

He laughs and nods.

"I really like it."

"Thank you. You also look very pretty."

He chuckles. She gestures to the bed.