Part 32: Night Out

Author's Note: Smut (teasing, role playing, etc.)

Shannon was right. Jake and Ryan follow him everywhere. All night. The only time he's able to have a conversation with another adult is when the kids are eating. Otherwise, they're attached to him like magnets. He doesn't mind. They're funny - they remind him of when he and Steve were young. Jumping on each other and smacking each other on the head. Bucky tries to keep his displays of strength as low-key as possible. He lifts each boy clean above his head and swings them around by their arms. They scream and giggle. Eventually, he and Sam manage to tire both of them out by playing football. Actually, it's more like trying to keep the ball away from either kid for as long as possible until they can't run anymore. One of them climbs into their mom's lawn chair while the other falls asleep on Bucky's chair with him. Bucky smiles as Sam hands him a beer, careful not to wake the boy.

Their parents look beyond grateful. Shannon introduces him to them. Greg and Lonnie. They look exhausted, but happy to finally have the kids calm for once this afternoon. Greg leans over to him. He's around 40 with salt and pepper hair and a big, bushy beard.

"Thanks for entertaining them tonight."

"It was no problem," Bucky laughs. "They're great kids."

Sam nods in agreement. Even he looks tired. Bucky shoots him a wink and Sam chuckles. Shannon settles in next to Bucky, leaning in to kiss him on the cheek.

"Have fun?"

"I did," he murmurs. "It was nice to be normal."

She quirks an eyebrow.

"You are normal, darlin'."

Bucky wants to smile at her mother's accent creeping into her voice again. Instead, he scrunches up his nose and shakes his head.

"I don't know about that."

"You are here," she whispers. "See, you're even wearing a t-shirt around everyone."

"Just don't expect this same level of comfort back at home."

Shannon reaches over, brushing his cheek with one hand. She pulls him in for a gentle kiss.

"You go with whatever you feel comfortable with, Buck."

They drink and sit around the fire pit until it begins to die and there's no more firewood that isn't still wet from the rainstorm earlier in the day. The rest of the neighbors begin to trickle out of the backyard and back home. Bucky helps Greg carry Jake and Ryan to their parent's car. Lonnie seems quite taken with his strength and gives him a peck on the cheek. Greg gives her the stink eye and shakes Bucky's hand.

"Thanks again for all of your help with the kids today. Sometimes it's hard to keep up with their energy."

"Not a problem," Bucky replies. "You've raised two incredible young men."

Lonnie flushes and climbs into the car while Greg smiles proudly. He waves as Greg and Lonnie drive away and Shannon's arms slide around his waist. She goes on her tiptoes to kiss the back of his neck.

"Hi."

Bucky grins and turns his head.

"Are you jealous that I didn't pay enough attention to you?"

"No!" She replies as she squeezes his shoulders. "I'm glad that you had fun tonight. You seem less tense than usual."

"I seem tense?"

"Normally, yeah."

"I suppose that's fair," he rumbles as he turns around and kisses her softly, his lips teasing hers. Shannon growls and tries to pull him closer by the hem of his shirt, but he chuckles. She swats him gently on the hip.