Part 57: When the Party's Over

Author's Note: Shannon's POV

She wakes up as the plane lands. Her shoulder aches and her brain is foggy, but her body is alert. It's a strange place to be in. She groans and stretches as Bucky's eyes flutter open.

"You okay?"

She nods.

"How's the shoulder?"

"Not great, but not as bad as it was earlier."

"Can you walk?"

"Yeah. I'm good."

Bucky Barnes, ever the gentleman, helps her up and walks her out of the plane. He gives her his jacket. Her good arm is slung around his shoulder, and he cradles her like she's a child. He doesn't have to be so gentle with her, but she appreciates it all the same. She's still a little dizzy from the Percocet. Bucky pocketed the bottle from Oeznik. She can hear it rattling in her jacket. Zemo talks about Sokovia, but Shannon's attention span isn't quite up to speed. She's more focused on the pain shooting down her arm.

"I don't suppose any of you bothered visiting the memorial?" He asks.

The three of them are silent. She looks up at Bucky, who is focused on the ground. His eyes comb cars and people with suspicion.

"Of course not," Zemo scoffs. "Why would you? We're here."

"Sam, can you take Shannon? I'm gonna go on a walk."

"Sure, man. You good?"

"Yeah."

"Buck?" She asks.

He smiles, leaning over to grasp her face and kiss her just before Sam reaches for her to pull her toward him.

"I'm okay. I'll see you guys in a bit."

"Come on, Rambo," Sam teases as they turn toward the door.

She frowns at him.

"Rambo?"

"You were going hog wild with that gun in Madripoor," he laughs. "Did you even hit anything?"

"I doubt it," she chuckles. "And, in my defense, I had no idea what the hell was going on."

Sam gives her a gentle pat on the back as they step inside another massive mansion. At this point, she should expect nothing less from Zemo. It's elegant, beautiful and intricately designed floors and ornate decorations – statues, carvings, gorgeous paintings. The man has taste. It's not hers, necessarily, but it's definitely taste. Zemo leads them to a large room with a few large sofas and a bar. Sam eases her onto a couch and she lies back.

"We're going to have to change that bandage. You want a drink?"

"God yes," she murmurs.

Sam chuckles and pours her a glass of whiskey, gently putting it in her hand.

"Thanks."

She takes off her jacket and Sam slowly begins to unwrap the bandages while Zemo hands him a medium-sized red box with a white cross on it.

"There should be enough bandages in here for today and tomorrow," he tells him.

"Bucky and I can grab more if she needs them."

Zemo gives him a small nod and disappears into the bathroom. Shannon hears the shower start and Sam shrugs. He's barely said a word to Zemo since Madripoor. She can tell he's pissed at Zemo for killing Nagel. As she was drifting in and out of consciousness on the plane, she could hear them bickering about it. Shannon looks down at her now bare arm. Her skin is still stained red with blood. Sam cleans up the rest of it and checks her stitches. She looks over her shoulder at him. His brow is knit together as he inspects the wound. None of them are doctors, but they've been beaten up, cut, and bruised enough to know how to treat this kind of thing. Zemo has already told her that they can't risk going to a hospital.