引き受ける Assume

Stop crossing and uncrossing your arms!

I scolded myself as I forced both of my arms down and hands onto the beach towel beneath waves of peachy sand.

I couldn't tell you on a scale of one to ten how restless I was here.

Although a thin jacket unsuccessfully covered a bit of my body past my shoulders, it revealed most of Kiyoko-san's two piece bathing suit beneath. As for the crossing and uncrossing of my arms, I was trying to cover up my bare chest that wasn't used to being out in the open.

"Oh! Nakemura-san, you aren't going to go swimming?"

Sugawara-senpai trotted over to huge red umbrella I sat under, his small ahoge comically bouncing along with the rest of his touseled gray waves.

"Eh? Ah, no. I don't think I'll go in just yet."

My arms unconsciously drew back to my chest again as I searched for an excuse in the depths of my mind.

"You need to get sunkissed, Nakemura-san! You can't spend all of this trip hiding under the shade."

My senpai scolded me as I gazed upon the sunburnt marks on his pale and sensitive skin. 'Sunkissed' really wasn't a term I would use in your defense, Sugawara-senpai.

"Aaand, I think Noya-san especially would want to see you in a cute bathingsuit."

He whispered through his hand and winked accordingly.

"I didn't wear it for that reason."

I pouted and mumbled with a faint blush spreading across my cheeks.

"Ah! I think I have an idea!"

Sugawara-senpai exclaimed jubilantly.

"If you don't want to swim, how about a little beach volleyball with us, hm?"

He continued, smiling at his offer.

"'Us' as in...?"

I questioned. It wasn't right up my alley, but I guess it was better than sitting through the whole trip the coaches planned for us- like the gray-haired setter said.

"You know, the Karasuno team! Me, Daichi, Tanaka, Hinata, Kageyama... Oh! Maybe a few Nekoma players. And Noooya too~"

He put more emphasis on the libero's name than necessary.

I thought about it for a while as I left the setter out in the sun and hot sand a bit more.

"I guess for a little bit."

I reluctantly removed my jacket and stood up from the comfortable, shady spot that was my home for today.

I set down my glasses before leaving, my eyes adjusting to the bright sun I stepped into. My feet sunk into the burning sand as I gave off faint yelps. Could I really play beach volleyball like this? Am I overestimating myself?! These were great players after all.

"OOOII! YOU GUYS, I GOT ANOTHER PLAYER!"

The setter in front of me waved and called over a few other people in the distance, next to a huge white volleyball net.

I scratched the back of my neck nervously as I made my way over, my toes fidgeting in between grains of sand.

"Waaaaah! Nakemura-san is playing with us?!"

Tanaka-san immediately said as I hesitantly glanced out from behind Sugawara-senpai's pale back frame.

He nodded to the spiker, while they both exchanged whispers that were inaudible.