弐拾八 28

Today, I woke up to the sound of rain on the panel to my bedroom window. I couldn't say I was completely annoyed with the sound because it woke me up. But, I was in a drowsy, agitated- like state before it calmed me down with its soft pattering. Reluctantly getting out of my bed, I walked to my bathroom to fix myself up for the first day of Karasuno High.
I entered due to the fact it was fairly easy to get accepted to, but had a hard enough curriculum that was going to force me to pay attention. (My price for adequate grades). Besides the curriculum, I had looks as my first priority to attend to thanks to my mother who's extremely passionate about first impressions.
Unfortunately enough for her, I wasn't eye candy (as explained previously). The only thing that I think would ever stand out appearance-wise would be my hair. One side is unevenly cut and choppy from the other, making it longer than the opposing side. Thanks to my genius 6-year old logic, it would take a while to grow back to the lengthy-silky hair I once had. But my parents never changed it, nor did I. According to some hair stylists, it actually happened to suit me. All they did was fix it up so it was acceptable.
Enough about my hair now. I think I'm late. (How stereotypical)!
I brushed through my uneven hair, threw on my uniform and thick, round-lensed glasses, and headed out the door with my school bag lazily straggling on my shoulder. It wasn't long before I was on my bike, pedaling away down the sidewalk to a new experience.

---------------------

Just in the nick of time, I managed to slip into the introductory speeches given by the principals and staff members. There, I had a chance to tidy up and catch a few of the freshman classes. Unfortunately for me though, since I was only 5'0, I couldn't see across most of my tall classmates from a corner in the back of a huge gym. Because of this, I realized how tough hallways were going to be for a midget like me. I gave a tired sigh and corrected myself back in line with the other girls, blending in; obviously not wanting to stand out

------------------------

My classroom is C-3. I could say I would have preferred C-4, being that it was closer to the stairs and easier for me to get to lunch, gym, etc. on time. But, I could settle for it.
Now was around the time where we picked seat numbers from a large jar full of folded papers. I stood quietly in the back while everyone crowded around the glass bowl hurriedly, the teacher desperately trying to simmer down somewhat less noise and energy in the room. Meanwhile, I stood in the back and waited patiently for the frenzy to settle so I can finally pick one and hurry out of the way. I could already tell this would be a lively and noisy classroom, one I didn't necessarily want -- guess focusing is out of the question. I unfolded the tiny slip of paper carefully and saw my number corresponded with a desk somewhat far in the back of the room- 28. I sighed, not sure if disruptive children were going to be grouped around me or if I was actually going to have peace alone. I waited and strained my ears for any signs amongst the variety of voices I heard (girls whining about trading places, yelling out whose number they've got, figuring out who they're sitting next to, etc.).
Finally, after around 4 and a half minutes, I heard an obnoxiously loud voice cry out amongst the sea of freshman students

"WHO'S GOT 28?!"

I froze and gripped my paper at the remark. Others seemed to hear him as well, and started to look around and murmur "not me" "probably some weird guy" "maybe he/ she's not here". Because of this, the classroom got considerably quieter. I started to get a bit of an uncomfortable, jittery feeling in my stomach, because I was never thrown into a situation like this. I finally mustered up my courage (and tamed my social anxiety) to respond.

"Um.." I said in a quiet voice from near the door.

I didn't expect as many heads to turn as they did. All eyes were on me because of one, simple word. I just wanted to be as incoherent as possible, but it obviously failed. I shifted uncomfortably and looked down.

".....I have 28." I finally managed to whisper.

Pushing through a crowd of annoyed students, a surprisingly short boy appeared in front of me (because of such a big voice, I obviously expected his appearance to be equivalent). He was around 6 more inches taller than I was...... Well, I think because of his hair mostly. The boy's brown and blonde-bleached tresses were spiked up to probably give the illusion of a taller person (most likely dislikes his height, who wouldn't for a guy though). With his hair down, I would expect him to be only 2 inches taller than I was. Before I could continue with his appearance (and awkward analyzation of each other), he spoke up.

"Trade with a buddy of mine, please! I would like to sit with him instead!"

Okay. That came off a bit rude, but I guess I understand. I nodded to the boy and was about to hand him my paper until we were interrupted by a fuming teacher.

"DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TRADE ANYMORE! DUE TO LACK OF CONTROL DURING THIS, EVERYBODY MUST TRADE BACK THEIR PAPERS AT ONCE AND OBTAIN THEIR ORIGINAL ONES AGAIN! GO TAKE A SEAT IF OTHERWISE!"

The students around me reluctantly traded with depressed or angry looks on their faces. Especially the short one, he seemed more disgusted than the rest. It almost seemed like he was about to blow a huge fuse too, but was trying VERY hard to contain himself. Even though it wasn't directed towards me, it did feel a little over the top to think so. After this, everyone took their designated seats and we started attendance calls.

Nishinoya Yū, the boy who stood in front of me, didn't even sit far away from me or his buddy. In fact, he was just straight across from both of us.

Talk about overreacting.