Fool

Isabella:

The last suitcase.

After organizing for the last few hours, I was finally onto the last one. I unzip it, the overflowing contents immediately spilling out onto the floor.

"Shit." I mutter to myself in annoyance as I begin to pick up her possessions.

"Oh wow this looks great!" Annalise squeals, into my ear. I shove the rest of her belongings back into the suitcase, beginning to stand up and display my usual half smile.

"I'm glad you like it." I manage to say.

"It's perfect! The room...the clothes...the man." She says as she comedically raises her eyebrows. "Everything is in order- But- nevermind." She cuts herself short as she goes to sit on the edge of her new bed.

"But what?" I ask, watching her sad looking eyes take a glimpse at me.

"I-I just wish that I knew someone here- someone other than Massimo. A friend. It's hard enough to move to a completely different country. But, with no friends- that's harder."

I feel my damn sorry heart clench at her sadness. "I'm here to help you Miss Lopez." I don't regret the words that leave my mouth. In the end, everyone needs someone to confide in.

She looks up at me with a teary smile.

"Thank you. But, call me Anna."

I nod my head, bending back down to finish putting her belongings back.

"You should take a break. It's not good for your baby." She says, taking me by surprise.

"H-how do you know about my pregnancy?"

She gives a small snort. "I'm a doctor of course I would notice it."

Oh God. This is not good. Not good at all.

"Please don't say anything to Ma- Mr Giordani. I don't want him to think that I'm incapable of working just as hard as I did before getting pregnant." My lies come out like lyrics to a song and, It works.

"I won't." She reassures me. "So, who's the father?"

I freeze in my position of picking up one of her delicate lace tops. The father is the person you're fucking around with. I want to scream but I don't.

"There is no father." I reply calmly, watching her face fall.

"Oh I-I'm so sorry I didn't mean-"

"It doesn't matter." I say. She can interpret it however she likes, but that is the last time I will speak about the matter.

"It's very brave of you- raising a child on your own." She tries to divert the subject but I don't say anything in return.

She clears her throat before speaking again. "So... is there anything to do around here? Massimo left for some business and-"

"Why is he going straight back to work? He needs to get some rest." I exclaim aloud.

"That's what I told him but you know Massimo, he doesn't listen."

Yes, I do know Massimo, you clearly do not.

I shake the hurtful words out of my head as I take her clothes into the closet.

"But he did say that he has a surprise for me tonight!" I hear her call to me from outside. I thank God that she can't see my destroyed face as I begin to put the clothes away.

"I can't wait for it! What do you think it is?"

I come back out to the main bedroom, spotting Annalise lying on her back, her head dropping off the edge of the bed.