Questions: Chapter 3

Chapter 3

You woke up the next morning with Alby's hand over your mouth.

"Shh," He calmed you. "Come with me."

You hurried out of your hammock and Alby led you to the walls. It was quiet in the morning; the other boys weren't up yet.

"Quiet, isn't it? Peaceful... It wasn't always like this. We lost a lot of boys in the first few months."

You walked up to the wall, drawn to the names carved in it. Your fingers traced the names of the boys who had come before you, stopping now and then on one that was crossed out.

"Dark times," Alby mumbled, and you nodded. You knew. You had watched every one of them die.

"Now it's your turn," Alby said, holding out the knife for you to carve your name among them. Your eyes glazed a little. You did so want to take the knife and imbed yourself in the legacy of the Glade. But WCKD's hold on you was too strong. So, you shook your head and avoided his eyes.

"Do you remember your name?"

You nodded.

"Are you going to carve it on the wall?"

You shook your head. No, not yet.

Alby sighed. "Your choice, I suppose... I don't suppose you feel like telling me why, would you?"

You shook your head again. No, not yet.

"Alright. But I warn you... a lot of the guys won't accept your silence for long. Especially after the note... You might have to talk soon."

You nodded; you knew. By your calculations, you had a few weeks before it all went drastically downhill, a month at most. But you could work with a few weeks.

"You'll be testing out all the jobs this week, to see where you'll fit. Start with the kitchens, Frypan should be there already. You know the way?"

You nodded, already turning to leave.

"Greenie?"

You looked back at Alby.

"Welcome to the Glade."