Questions: Chapter 18

Chapter 18

It had taken the better part of an hour, but you had run from your place near the doors to the corridor on the map. You never did remember the specifics of the run; the spiking pain in your arm made you half-conscious. But you got there.

You stopped for a minute to check the map.

You don't need that anymore.

Drop it.

You did, and the metal clattered on the stone.

Turn right.

You did, facing into a darkened passage.

Run forward. Don't stop.

You ran, faster than you had, forgetting your pain, your exhaustion, your fear.

Into the darkness, you ran.

And then, suddenly... light.

A room.

Come in. We've been expecting you.

"Computers?" You spoke.

"Wait... I can... YES!" You screamed, laughing, shouting, babbling absolute nonsense, just grateful to have your gift of speech, of glorious sound.

My name is IVEN. International Vision Enforcement Network.

And I am GLORA. Global Location Origin Research Application

Welcome to WCKD's inside surveillance room.

We control the maze and the Grievers from here.

"And you could stop me from speaking?"

We have some physical control over several subjects, including you, A17.

"I'm not just A17. I have a name. It's y/n."

Is it? Are you sure?

"Yes. I'm not like the others. They never wiped my memories. I came to WCKD voluntarily. I was 12. You can't confuse me."

Understood.

A17, you have completed your mission and checked in with GLORA and IVEN. You have successfully navigated life with the Gladers and survived the Maze. You are now free to tell the Gladers whatever you decide to share.

"Thank you. I will... I will complete my mission. But..."

But?

"They... they're happy here. They're happy not knowing. If they know what's out there, they will want to leave. They'll want to rejoin their families, but their families don't exist anymore. They might even be infected themselves and die... They're my friends. I don't think I can let that happen."

As we said. It is your choice what to tell them. As it always was.

WCKD chose you because they trust you to make the right decision.

You looked at the two glowing computers in front of you, hearing the voices that had been calling you.

"It was that chip they put in me, wasn't it? That's how I was the only one to hear you."

We must return to our primary objective now: running the maze.

Farewell, A17.

As the computers powered off, you felt as if you had lost a critical part of yourself. And yet, you felt free. You could speak now. You had the power to decide what to tell the Gladers. It was a wonderful feeling.

"I'm coming, Gally." You mumbled.

And turned to run back through the maze.