Questions: Chapter 9

Chapter 9

The next morning Alby woke you. It was time for a Keeper's meeting, and it was time to decide where you would be working in the Glade. You got up and dressed quickly, anxious to discover where you belonged in the Glade. You sat with Alby at breakfast, not hearing his small talk over the pounding of your heartbeat. You did notice, however, when he stopped talking abruptly as Alec came up to you.

"Hey, greenie. How're you feeling?" Alec asked quietly. You shrugged, smiling at him. Your smile seemed to relax him a little.

"I just wanted to say I'm sorry about what happened yesterday."

You shook your head and waved your hand, nonverbally saying, 'Don't worry about it.' Alec grinned then, casting a sideways glance at Alby, and finished, "Good luck today. Hope you get into Builders!" before running off.

"Speaking of which," Alby said, rising from the table, "We should be going."

After emptying your dishes and getting a quiet, "Good luck!" From Wyck, you followed Alby to the meeting hall, built in the very corner of the Glade. The other Keepers were already there, sitting and standing on the rows of stone benches. You took your place close to the center, with Frypan grinning smugly to your right, and Gally scowling at you from across the room.

"This meeting of the Keepers is now in session. Our first order of business is our greenie here. Is everyone ready to vote on where the greenie goes?" Alby asked, and the Keepers nodded.

Suddenly one of the Keepers you hadn't met before, Minho, spoke out, "I move we force the greenie to tell us what they know. The note said they knew everything, right? I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm ready for some answers." He stared at you accusingly, and you flushed, avoiding his eyes.

"We've talked about this, Minho, we can't force them to talk. They will when they're ready." Alby said patiently. "Right, greenie?" He smiled at you, but you didn't smile back.

"I second the motion," Zart agreed with Minho, "I'm ready for some answers too."

"Motion is void, Zart," Alby argued. "As is the motion we discussed earlier of assigning a name to the greenie. They'll tell us their name themselves when they are ready, and not before! Until then they will be greenie. That hasn't been a problem for any of you before. Now, let's move on. Frypan, would you like to see the greenie work in the kitchens?"

"Definitely," Frypan nodded, grinning at you, "The greenie's welcome among the cooks anytime."

You giggled; it was nice to be wanted. Winston, however, ruined your moment.

"They're not welcome with the Slicers." He said definitively. You didn't blame him.

"Alright, Winston. Zart, how about you?"

"I wouldn't mind some more help in the gardens. It's a yes for me."

You and Newt exchanged a smile.

"No for me... sorry, greenie, but the Bagger life is not for you," Billy joked. You returned his grin, agreeing. You still had the remains of the black eye you had received during your brief stay with the Baggers.

"If the greenie wants, it's a yes from me. With some training, I'm sure they would be a good medjack." Clint said.

You were surprised; you hadn't exactly done well your day as a medjack. You had confused all the pill bottles and accidentally dropped a bowl on Jeff's foot. Still, you were grateful Clint thought you had a chance. He winked at you as he sat back down, and you nodded your thanks.

"Inconclusive," Minho said the one word briskly and finally. You understood, It usually took more than one week to decide if a greenie was up to be a runner. Most of the time it required months of training before anyone was accepted as a runner.

You tried to smile at Minho, but your smile faded as Gally sauntered into the center of the hall. His arms were crossed, and his expression was stern, and you fixed your eyes on a rock embedded into the dirt floor.

"Yes, from me," Gally grunted, in a voice barely audible. You looked up sharply just as he was turning, and your eyes met. He nodded once before sitting down in the back of the room, and you sat in stunned silence.

"Well, greenie, it looks like you have your pick of the Cooks, the Trackhoes, the Medjacks, and the Builders. What job do you choose?"

You sat in silence, considering for a moment. Then you smiled, jumping up. With a nod of respect to Alby, you turned to the back of the room...

And pointed at Gally.

"Builders it is. Good luck." Alby said.

Gally rolled his eyes and ordered, "Go over to the shed, Alec will give you your assignment for the day. Try not to get yourself killed, alright, greenie?"

As you pushed the door open, he added, "And greenie? Welcome to the team."

You couldn't wipe the smile off your face for the rest of the morning.