Questions: Chapter 4

Chapter 4

When you walked into the hut that served as the kitchens, you saw Frypan asleep by the warm stove. He had evidently started the fire in the old iron stove and fallen back asleep close to the comforting warmth. You smiled, deciding not to wake him. Instead, you picked up the recipe card from the table. Eggs and pancakes... nothing you couldn't handle. You hadn't taken three weeks of cooking classes for nothing.

Soon, other kitchen helpers joined you. They understood your plan when you pressed your finger to your lips, pointing at Frypan's snoring form. Giggling like schoolboys, they enjoyed a morning without Frypan's constant instruction. The need for quiet seemed to ignite a need for constant laughter in the boys and trying to stifle the mirth only fanned the flame. Soon, the kitchen was a laughing, whispering, tip-toeing mess as you and the kitchen boys made breakfast for fifty without waking the Keeper of the Cooks.

The Runners were the first to come, and you served them with a smile. Most of them grinned back, except Minho, who rarely smiled at anyone. You didn't mind. You knew his thoughts were on other things, and that he was nice deep down. Once you got past all the burden of responsibility and his perfect hair.

You returned to the kitchen with their dishes just as the other boys started arriving. They formed a line and you and a boy named Wyck served the other Gladers as quickly as you could.

"What- what's going on?!"

You and Wyck exchanged a jovial look and burst into laughter as Frypan awoke, demanding answers from the other boys in the kitchen.

"What was that all about?" Gally stepped to the front of the line, pushing Chuck and a few others out of the way to do so.

"Nothing, Gally," Wyck replied, filling Gally's plate. "Just a joke we played on Frypan."

"A joke on Frypan? With the greenie? Wow, greenie. You've got some guts."

"You couldn't tell that after the greenie beat you to a pulp in the Ring?" One of the other boys in line muttered under his breath. Gally turned with a fury.

"Who said that?!" He demanded. No one admitted to speaking, and the boys avoided Gally's eyes.

"The greenie did not beat me." He hissed. "I let the greenie win. Beginners luck. And they were cheating anyway, distracting me like that! It wasn't fair."

"Which was it?" Chuck asked, quietly.

"What was that shank?" Gally seized him.

"I-I... I just... you said you let the greenie win... then you said it was beginners' luck... then cheating... so... which was it? It couldn't have been all of them."

"Oh, no?" Gally pushed Chuck to the ground before glaring at you.

"Greenie? Anything to say about this?"

You blushed and shook your head.

"I thought not." He spat, before picking up his plate. Suddenly, he hesitated.

"Rematch." He said suddenly, then louder, "Rematch! You and me, greenie. The Ring. Next bonfire. Don't be late."

"Gally, Alby wouldn't like-"

"To the cliffs with what Alby would like! Rematch, greenie. Be there."

You moaned to yourself as Gally stormed off with his plate.

"You're totally dead now," Wyck mumbled to you as he gave Chuck an extra-large helping.

Right, You thought, totally dead.