Questions: Chapter 10

Chapter 10

"So, how's life as a Builder?"

You still sat with Newt at lunchtime, as he was one of your closest friends in the Glade. Chuck sat with you, too, and Alec sometimes. Even Wyck joined when Frypan let him off. It was nice for all of you to get away from the work for a little while and get different perspectives on day-to-day affairs. Besides, a lot of the gossip that was common among your jobs was unheard in the others, so you kept each other up to date. The boys insisted on asking you questions every single day, although you had yet to speak a word to anyone.

"Did you hear, it took two hours for them to get all the supplies out of the Box," Chuck joked.

"Yeah, but no more greenies thanks to the greenie here!" Alec nudged you playfully.

"Thank goodness they kept sending up the bloody supplies, I don't know what we'd do without them," Newt added, sitting down with his plate.

"Well, our greenie fights tonight with none other than their Keeper, Gally!"

You groaned. You had completely forgotten about the long-promised rematch between you and Gally. The month had practically flown by! Alec had been a wonderful help, teaching you the ins and outs of Builders. No one had forced you to talk yet; it seemed they had forgotten about the note from the Creators and just accepted your silence. You hadn't had any run-ins with Gally, either. You guessed he was saving all his anger for the rematch.

"He's going to destroy you. Did you see how hard he's been training lately?"

You nodded; you had noticed. He had been carrying large supply crates over his head, boxing with the trees in the Deadheads, and dragging heavy sacks of flour, sometimes with boys lying on them, across the Glade. Most of this he did without his shirt on, and you couldn't help but notice his shining muscles.
"Ooh, guys, the greenie is blushing! What're you thinking about, greenie?" Newt teased. You glared at him, then joined in the table's laughter. It was foolish, these thoughts about Gally. You had to focus on beating him tonight.

"So, do you have a plan, or are you just going to wing it?" Alec asked. You started to shrug then you heard Gally's voice behind you.

"They plan to lose miserably!" Gally scoffed, his friends hyping him up.

"Really? Because I thought you two were all buddy-buddy now. You haven't yelled at the greenie once, Gally. You got a soft spot for them? Hmm? Oh, I see. Gally has a crush on the greenie!" Alec taunted.

Gally's confident smirk froze then melted away as he let his fury consume him.

"Well, let's let the greenie tell us. Come on, greenie. Tell us! Do I have a soft spot for you? Do I have a crush on you? Why don't you tell us all? Oh, that's right. You're too scared to talk!"

You flushed red; you weren't afraid. Before you could stop yourself, you stood and faced Gally.

"Ooh, is the greenie angry? Did I make the greenie mad? Come on, what're you going to do, huh? What're you going to do?"

"Ah, leave them alone, Gally, I didn't mean anything by it." Alec stood too, trying to defend you.

"Woah look here! Decide to grow a backbone today, Alec? Well, that remarkable display of bravery will have you and the greenie working late tonight."

Alec groaned and Gally pounced on him, "Oh wow, yeah, you have such an awful Keeper, making you stay late. Just for that, the greenie's working with you! You hear me, Alec? You'll be missing the bonfire to build that shed in the dark. You'd better finish it, too! And right after I'm done pounding the ever-loving stuffing out of the greenie here, they'll be joining you. Understood?"