Questions: Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Before you knew it, the three days had passed. You had spent an official day with Newt and Zart in the gardens and a day with Clint and Jeff in the medjack hut. Billy dismissed you only because you managed to get a black eye, bloody nose, and trip to the medjacks in the first hour of your time with the Baggers.

You finished your breakfast the morning after, flinching as you felt your eye. Newt sat down next to you.

"Last day in the job search, greenie. You excited?"

You rolled your eyes at him and Newt laughed. This was your day with Gally and the Builders, and you knew Newt and the others were betting on how long you'd last.

"Greenie!"

"Good luck," Newt mumbled as Gally approached, his face already hard and angry.

"Alby says you're with me today." He sighed as if being stuck with you was the worst possible thing that could ever happen. "Get up, let's go, unlike most of these idiots here, we Builders have actual work to do."

You reluctantly followed Gally over to where the other builders were already hard at work making a new storage shed for the Trackhoes.

"Hank, what the shuck do you think you're doing?! I told you..." Gally stormed off to yell at some unfortunate builder, leaving you standing awkwardly nearby.

"Hey." A boy leaped, most skillfully, from where he was nailing on the roof of the shed and approached you. "You must be the greenie?"

You nodded, shaking his outstretched hand.

"I'm Alec. Those shanks are Peter and Carl. Way over there is Dan, Henry, and the one Gally's screaming at is Hank. We're working on the roof of the shed now, while the others are fixing a fence on the other side of the gardens. Want to help me? Gotta look busy around here, or Gally gets on your case, and no one wants that."

You nodded, smiling, and followed Alec. He helped you climb the ladder to the roof of the shed and handed you a hammer.

"Just nail the roof tiles on like this... make sure they're nice and tight, don't want any leaks."

You tried to imitate Alec as best you could but managed to hit yourself in the thumb with the hammer. Wincing, you stuck your thumb in your mouth while Alec laughed.

"Here, come on, try this." He pulled your hand away from your face and showed you how to hold the nails the right way.

"There you go! You got it!" He encouraged as you managed to secure the tile.

"What do you think you're doing, Alec?" Gally yelled up at you and Alec. You both exchanged the same eye roll before Alec peered over the roof to answer Gally.

"Just teaching the greenie to do roof tiles, Captain!"

"Did I tell you to do that?"

"No, but-"

"No, what?"

"No, sir."

"That's right. But now that they're up there might as well finish the job. It had better be done right!"

"Yes, sir!"

Alec crawled back up to where you were, and you both laughed quietly.

"He's really not a bad guy, as Keepers go," Alec said, "We do get the most done during the day, and he can be fun sometimes too... but only sometimes." More giggles. "Come on, we'd better get back to work."

You sat up, only then noticing that one of your nails had rolled to the edge of the shed roof. You sat down and scooted over to it, reaching out as it rolled to the very edge.

"Greenie, be careful-"

The nail dangled for a moment at the edge of the shed roof, then started to fall off it. You reached out quickly, planning on grabbing it before it fell beyond your reach. But just as you did, you heard one of the voices from the maze. It was louder than it had been before, deafeningly loud. It echoed in your mind as you felt yourself going past the edge of the roof, into the air...

"Greenie!" Alec tried to grab you before you fell, but he was too far away. You felt a moment of panic as you fell from the roof, then everything went black.

Gally heard Alec's cries for help before the others. His first thought was, "What has that knucklehead done to hurt himself now?" His second was, "Oh, shuck, it's the greenie! The greenie is hurt!"

He dropped the screwdriver he had been using, taking off into a sprint around the shed, running straight through Newt's tomato plants, over to where Alec was cradling your head.

"Get off them!" Gally roared, nearly pulling Alec's arm out of socket as he yanked him away.

"It wasn't my fault-" Alec tried to defend himself, but Gally was already screaming new orders.

"Slim it, Alec! Go get Jeff. RIGHT NOW!"

Alec gave you one desperate look before taking off, howling for the medjacks.

"It's ok, greenie, you'll be ok," Gally mumbled softly to your unconscious form. He lifted your head with a large, calloused hand gently, hesitantly, as if it was made of glass.

"Give them some space, idiots, back it up!" He commanded the other builders and trackhoes, gathered anxiously around.

"You're going to be ok." He pulled your head onto his knees, his mind racing, trying to think of what to do or how to help.

His nervous and slightly bewildered face was the first thing you saw as your eyes fluttered open.

"You fell off the bloody roof," Newt answered your unasked question, kneeling next to you. "Stay still, Jeff's on his way."

"Stupid Alec, it's all his fault. He should have kept a better eye on you!" Gally said through gritted teeth, his fist clenched around your wrist.

"I'm sure it wasn't his fault, Gally," Newt voiced the alarm in your eyes. You nodded, trying to defend Alec, then groaned.

"You're one to talk. Give them some shucking space." Gally glared at Newt, who had gotten too close to you for his comfort.

Sighing, you sat up, pushing Gally away with your hand. He backed up awkwardly, considering forcing you to rest or carrying you to the medjacks. You, however, offered your hand to Newt, who took it and helped you stand, just as Clint and Jeff ran up.

"Woah, woah, what happened here?"

"Greenie, I'm so sorry, I should have warned you about the slippery edge," Alec tried to apologize but trailed off as Gally stared daggers at him. "I... I'll just get back to work."

"Excellent idea." Gally spat, before turning back to you with concern.

"Will the greenie be ok?" He asked as Clint helped you sit down again.

"Why do you care, Gally?" Alec asked hostilely.

"Uh... They haven't finished their work for the day." Gally crossed his arms over his chest, after only a moment's hesitation. "If they're going to be hurt, get them out of here. They're slowing things up."

Gally acted annoyed and angry, but as Jeff helped you walk to the medjack hut, you couldn't help but notice him watching you the whole way...