Questions: Chapter 16

Chapter 16

You heard it before you saw it. The clanking, the shaking, the tiny clicking of its feet against the stone. You focused, holding your breath. It was no more than ten paces away now. You could hear the deep rumbling as air moved past its wordless vocal cords.

Your fist tightened around the knife, one hand clutching a strand of ivy. You had thought about tying yourself to the wall, then decided against the idea, in case you needed to run.

It was five paces away. You could feel its heat sensors working, scanning, making sure the maze was clear. You took a deep, slow breath and held it, ready to fight.

It sensed you. Its strange, lumpy head turned to you, above it, hidden beneath the ivy. You braced yourself for the first attack.

It launched its longest leg, which narrowly missed your head. For a moment the tip of the leg was embedded in the wall; you could touch it easily. In a split, second decision, you grabbed it. Bad idea. You half fell, half were dragged twenty feet down the Maze walls. Lucky enough for you, the Griever broke your fall.

It collapsed under your weight combined with gravitational force. You took advantage of the moment to drive your knife deep into its skull. It exploded in a flurry of sparks. The Griever tried to stand, and you yanked the knife out to stab it again. Then the tail came down.

You rolled to the left, off the Griever. The force of the tail trying to stab you on the Griever's back, however, drove the tail into its own back. The venom took its hold, further destroying the Griever's system. But the Griever wasn't done fighting just yet.

It pulled itself up by two legs, using another two to drag itself across the ground. You flinched at the screeching noise of metal and flesh against rock.

You then remembered, in your shock, that it was coming after you and turned to run. It flicked one leg out, sweeping your feet and knocking you forcibly on your face. You gasped, trying to regain your breath when another one wrapped around your arm. You looked at it for a split second, trying to decide how to get it off, before it tugged sharply, breaking your arm clean in half.

Your screams echoed off the Maze walls.

Meanwhile, in the Glade, Gally was in the slammer. He had managed to beat the stuffing out of both Minho and Alec, who he deemed responsible for your situation before the Baggers locked him in the cell. Now, Newt was trying to talk him down, but Gally refused to be calmed. He paced back and forth, wearing a pathway in the dirt floor.

"I never should have left them, Newt. I never should have left them alone with Minho or Alec, I never should have let them train with Minho! None of this would have happened if-"

"You saw them, sitting by the doors every day, Gally! There's nothing you could have done to stop them. They were going to get out there sometime."

"But if I had stood up for them, for their silence, to the Keepers it wouldn't have been anytime soon. It wouldn't have been tonight! If I had done something, shuck, if I had done anything, y/n would be here right now!"

"Well, maybe they'll make it. You never know!"

Gally gave Newt such a despair-filled look that even Newt lost what little hope he had in your survival.

That was when they heard your screams.

Gally leaned bodily against the stone, burying his face in his arms. Newt reached through the bars and took Gally's hand.

"I'm sorry, Gally."

"It's all my fault. And now, I'll never get to tell them... I might not have acted like it, Newt, but I did care about them. More than Alec," He spat the name, "ever could. But... what good did caring do. I couldn't protect them. I couldn't save them..."

Gally yanked his arm away from Newt. Pulling his fist back, he punched the stone walls with all his strength.

Newt flinched as he heard the crunch of Gally's fist breaking, but Gally didn't utter a sound.

"I'll get the medjacks," Newt said quietly, slipping away to leave Gally in his grief.

"Yes," Gally said, allowing his anger to protect him from his pain. "You do that."