Chapter 4 - Responsibilities

It had been exactly a month since the accident and the little one had recovered very well. It already weighed two kilos and seven hundred grams. The little girl would be discharged from hospital and social services would have to find an orphanage to take her. This situation left Singto desperate. Although everything started with the dream, where his sister asked to help them, it ended with Singto completely involved with the girl and he could not imagine her in an orphanage. He did not think twice about offering to look after her until Krist recovered. As he was a well-known and respected person in the region, it was not difficult to get the support of social assistance and the judge's authorization to take the child home under his guardianship. His life completely changed from that moment on. He had become a father, even if temporarily. He left the hospital with a face of happiness, as he held that little being who so stirred his feelings. As he was not prepared for that situation, by the time he got home there was only one person he could call for help. His mother answered the call after the third ring.

...

- Good morning my son! Your mother spoke.

- Good morning mom. We need you! He spoke bluntly.

- What do you mean: are you needing me? Who is needing me? What was there? You are making me worried.

- You became grandma and now we need your help! He said smiling to himself as he looked at the girl in his arms.

- Singto, my son. I need you to be clearer. I still do not understand what is going on. Insisted his mother.

- I just took custody of the baby I was taking care of and I will stay with her until her father recovers. I need you to come here so we can buy what we need.

- We will be there as soon as possible. Answered his mother without further questioning.

When Mrs Marila and Mr Krekkay arrived at their son's house they just wanted to know where their youngest granddaughter was. Asking next:

- What is the name of this beautiful little princess of grandma? Making Singto widen his eyes before answering a little suspiciously and with a lower voice than usual.

- As it is a name I did not know if it would be permanent, since the parents did not choose it, I want to call her Myna. He said, hoping to see his mother's reaction.

With teary eyes she looked at the little girl and said:

- I think that crooked daddy of yours could not have chosen a better name for you. She said to the little girl while filling her belly with kisses. She turned to her son then, gave him a tight hug, and, as a tear ran down her face, whispered in his ear:

- When I think it is impossible for you to surprise me with anything else, you find one to make me even more proud. I am so proud of you, my son!

...

While Singto stayed with Myna at home, his parents went shopping and brought everything they thought necessary for the girl's well-being. From crib to clothes. They also bought toys, foods and some basic medicines. While his mother took care of the girl, Singto and his father set up the crib and tidied up the little girl's room. He was happy to take on the responsibility of taking care of Myna, but in a strange way, it brought a mix of happiness and sadness to Singto. He wanted her father to be there with them too. It kept coming out of his head. He could not understand what was wrong with him, but, thinking of Krist that way was not something he thought bad.

That night, when Singto arrived at the hospital for Krist's physical therapy, he had news to share with his patient.

...

- Hi, Krist. Ready for another exercise session? Today I have good news to tell you. Today, her little girl was released from the hospital. She is great. I took her home and I will take care of her until you recover. You do not need to worry that she was not alone. My mother, who by the way has already taken on the role of a real grandma, was taking care of her while I came to take care of you. So do not let us down and improve as fast as you can. I am sure that our princess is dying to meet her daddy.

While talking to him, the monitor showed, as it always did, a change in his patient's heart rate. It filled him with hope.

- Please do not give up! He spoke too close to her ear, almost in a whisper, before heading home.

...

When the room began to heat up, Krist paid attention to the noise outside. He knew he was going to hear the flutter of wings that followed. He got up and went close to the door, trying to better hear the sounds coming from outside. This time he could hear when the voice spoke his name: Krist... that kind of startled him and turned away from the door again. He understood, too, when the voice spoke other words: little daughter... hospital... grandma... daddy... Please do not give up! He heard it clearly this time. Give up on what? This time not only did he feel the room heat up, but his body was also getting warm in some places, hands, arms, legs, feet... This heat made him feel safe and comfortable. What was that? What was happening? Why was he still so afraid? Again, he felt the room cool down and then he huddled back into a corner as the sound around him became confused again.