Chapter 9 - Memories

The day after Myna's birthday, after lunch, P'Prae went to visit Krist. As Myna was spending the day with her grandparents, she knew she would find him alone and had many things she wanted to talk to him about. At Singto's request, she brought a gift that would help Krist get through his spare time: a notebook. Although she did not know who it was at the time she received the order, she bought and equipped the best equipment for a programmer to use.

Singto's sister had a unique personality. When she arrived somewhere, it felt like a hurricane. She was the center of attention even without having to do anything. She liked to speak her mind, directly and bluntly. She was impulsive and not afraid to take chances. Everything she said had an air of provocation.

When she entered the house and called for Krist, he came from the bedroom in his wheelchair. Although he was starting to walk, he had promised Singto that, while he was alone at home, he would not try to walk alone so he wouldn't have an accident and jeopardize his recovery.

Looking at him sitting across from her, she asked unceremoniously.

- How is my favorite brother-in-law? Giggling and then coming over to give him a hug after placing Singto's order on the table.

- Good to see you too, P'Prae. Krist replied. Giving a smile, but already turning red.

- Seriously now, Krist. I am sorry about what happened to you, but I am happy to see you and Myna doing okay, even though you are still on the mend.

- I understand what you mean... I also felt that way for some time... imagining that we were lucky, even after we suffered the accident and lost Anong... is a confused feeling to feel. Krist spoke.

- I can only imagine! Replied Prae.

- Shall we sit on the terrace? I think it is more comfortable for us to talk there! Prae spoke.

- Let's go! Krist replied. Do you do me the honor of holding in your arm? He asked.

- With pleasure. All for my dear brother-in-law! She spoke with laughter.

Turning red again, Krist grabbed Prae's arm for support as braced herself to get out of his wheelchair. After picking up his crutch to support his other arm, the two walked slowly to the terrace and sat on the swing that faced the garden and the beach.

As they looked out over the landscape, Krist was reminded of meeting P'Prae. When he was hired to set up and configure the company's data security system, and how she said he was the brother-in-law she was looking for. Even after saying he was not gay and had a girlfriend. With her bold personality, she was not intimidated. She just laughed and said it was because he had not met her brother yet, making them both laugh. Time passed and they became good friends. He remembered when he said he was getting married and she asked if he really loved Anong. She said that just because they had been together since their teens, when they had met at the orphanage, he should not feel obligated to get married. Marriage is much more than the right thing to do. She said that there was no sparkle in his eyes when he said he was going to get married. She asked if he felt his stomach churn with jealousy when anyone approached Anong. If, when he was out of the house, he counted the minutes left to finish the day and run home and throw himself in her arms to make love. Still, with all these arguments from P'Prae, he still felt that marrying Anong was the right thing to do.

After they remained silent for a while, Prae started talking without even looking at Krist.

- Life is funny. I have so many times planned to introduce my brother to you before your wedding and it has always gone wrong. I was so sure you were made for each other. Whenever he went to Bangkok, I would invite you two to go out with me hoping to meet each other and it never worked out. One of the two ended up missing the meeting for some reason. Your path has never crossed and suddenly, after a tragedy, you parachute into his life. If this is not fate, I do not know what to call it.