10

I've always had this dilemma whenever I travel, especially when I travel with my family.

We are foodie people, we travel mostly because of food, and travelling overseas means we don't really get halal food all the time.

It's easy for my family because they don't mind eating anything as long as it's not pork. But for me, who's a bit particular about food, since I've gotta maintain my hijabis image and all, I'd always opt for vegan or kosher meals.

Until it reaches the seventh or eighth day of our vacation that I'd get sick of eating the same old limited-option vegan and kosher meals while watching my family gobble anything in the world except pork.

That's how my faith fades a bit and I start to taste just a bite of what they're having that suddenly, out of nowhere, I'm already ordering a full meal for myself.

And now, after three months of living in New York with those limited food option, I am now being served a plate of meat that look fucking delicious with such beautiful decoration; I feel like I'm on the eighth day all over again.

"Is this pork?" I whisper-ask the waiter who puts the main course in front of me when Honey is busy discussing wine option with the Maitre'd.

"It's not pork, Mrs Gunn." He answers politely to which I nod in relief. That means I can eat it.

"Wine for you, Mrs Gunn?" The Maitre'd asks me when I've gotten the first bite of this heaven-sent food.

"Oh it's okay, I'm good with my drink." Drey is gonna kill me for this. Because the first rule of fine-dining particularly during the main course, is to match the food with the wine. And I did hear Honey just asked for the whole bottle for us.

"It will go perfectly with your meal, Mrs Gunn," he insists.

"It is one of the best," Honey supports his statement that I can't say no further so I nod, "Alright. I'll have a glass." How the hell am I going to spin this. I've already violated one rule by eating non-kosher meat, now an alcoholic beverage? Oh Godddd.

"This is perfect," he says contently as he smiles at me. I take it he's commenting the food he's eating now?

"We should come again next week," I knew it, he's talking about the food, "So I'll get to see you eat again."

I grin hearing his nonsense reason, "You don't need a table here to see me eat. Double patty cheese burger is all you need to see the ugly hungry Scarlett."

Right after I vomit those words, I feel like an absolute failure because I just broke another one of Scarlett's flawless image.

I've been careful all night, to the point of being cautious with my every move. I fucking nailed the dining etiquette but why, why do my mouth need to do this silly mistake. Scarlett doesn't eat cheese burger, and she certainly would never look ugly when she eats.

"Ugly hungry Scarlett? Where?" He turns his head all around as if he's searching for something, then finally, he looks at me with a proud smile, "All I see is a Goddess enjoying her food like it should be enjoyed."

I force a chuckle as a response to his not-funny-at-all joke, with my heart feeling heavy as my mind calculates how much longer I can manage to continue acting as Scarlett.

Because as of now, I suck at it.

"Do you want another?" He asks when I put down my empty glass of Vodka Martini.

I have to stop myself from laughing upon hearing that, because I've been drinking three glasses of water with olives, but he still doesn't have a clue about it.

"It's okay, wouldn't want to go home drunk." I bite my lips after telling him that. Yeah right, drunk with olives if it's even possible.

"B," he calls with a sense of familiarity.

"Hmm?"

"You haven't had a sip of the wine," his eyes direct mine to the untouched glass of red wine in front of me, "and you've already finished your main course."

"Opss," is all my response. Because I plan it that way. I am not going to drink this alcoholic drink. Nope.

"Nevermind, we'll come back for the same meal. I'll ask Owen to cook it for you." Owen, the owner of this restaurant as well as his friend.

"Thank you Honey, I won't forget next time." I will forget again next time.

***

I got electrocuted two more times after the first one when he placed his hand on my back every time I go in and out of the car, making me swear that I will never wear bare back outfits anymore, not when he's in close vicinity.

"Goodnight B," he kisses me this time, on my left cheek.

"Night, Honey."

"Mhmm," he hums before finally takes a step back, distancing ourselves.

"Night," I say to him again after I open the door of my bedroom.

"Night, B."

I quickly slip myself inside with the small crack and close the door as soon as possible before anything unwanted happens. Because he does not look like he's going anywhere soon, just stood there waiting for me to invite him or something.

Nope, the most you're allowed with is the kiss on the cheek. Not even a full hug.

"You're sure about this?" My youngest sister, Luna asks in fascination after I told her what has been happening in my life since the past three months.

She's studying in Penn State so I only get to see her during summer but we always call each other at least once a month. Though she was busy with her finals and extra projects hence the missing-in-action for almost three months.

That's why when I saw her caller ID after I escaped Honey, I accepted the call instantly, spilling everything to the one I have the closest relationship with. She's eight years younger than me but she gets me more than anyone in this world.

"It's pretty hard," she nods to herself, "It took almost a year for Pedro to somehow understand why I'm doing stuffs."

She's been in a relationship with this Brazilian man for three years now, and I've listened to every heartache about their fights because of the differences in culture and religion, but I guess love wins. They're still together up to this day.

"Do you see yourself with this man in the future?"

I scoff hearing that ridiculous question, "For God sake, I'm here just to dip my feet into the water, to see what's the fuss about being married and all. Stop asking me that kinda question, I'm here for three months, nothing more. Six hundred thousands, then I'm off to open our dream bakery!"

Because I've planned to leave my stressful work and go with what I've envisioned myself in.

When Luna was still in Jakarta with me, we always take orders for wedding cakes, simply out of boredom after attending countless baking classes. Even after she furthered her studies overseas, I still took orders from family and close friends.

"Guess our dream will come true then?"

I grin, "In three months, baby girl!"