Chapter 20: I still love you

Athy's POV

I was moved back to the Ruby Palace, and honestly, I figured this would happen sooner or later. I'm now laying on my bed, not able to sleep. My thoughts are running. I've made it quite a habit that whenever I feel so hopeless, or depressed, I take out the picture of my mom. I stare at it, and I think about everything good.

So tonight, I do just that. I take out the picture of her, and I stare at it, trying to think of everything good.

Well, Lucas is back. And.. Um.. That's it?

Looking at her portrait, I couldn't help but admire her beautiful golden hair, and I was reminded of Father's hair. It was a beautiful blonde, and it was soft. I remembered all our memories together, all of our garden walks, all of his gifts for me, my gifts for him. The times when he looked at me warmly.

Before I knew it, tears started spilling. I was crying. How could I not? All those memories went to waste. This was unfair, I'd rather have him not so close to my heart because I wouldn't have been bothered by this circumstance. However, I started to think of him as a real father. I hated that fact. I hated how I got so attached to the man who killed me. Now, he will kill me again. I won't be surprised if Jeannette gets poisoned for some reason tomorrow.

I sat up from my bed and grab the book that I always hid beneath my pillows since I ordered my maids to never touch my bed.

I stared at it, not minding the fact that my tears are ruining the pages.

I was furious. This stupid book is deciding my fate, and it's just a damn tree. I started to read at a random page, and a random place.

"You fool, there was never a day I considered you my daughter."

Those words hit me in the right places, and I hated it.

How dare this book, this stupid story decide my fate? How dare it use me as a mere tool for the plot? I am not a decoy, nor is my love for dad.

Then, before I caught myself, I started ripping the pages in rage. And, I don't know for how long I had cried, but I found myself with a messy bed full of ripped pages the next day.

My eyes were swollen, and I had decided to clean up my bed before my maids come in seeing me in such a mess. Questioning eyes were the last thing I needed right now.

I quickly placed all the ripped pages in the book and tucked it behind my pillows. I fluffed my comforter and went to the restroom. For a few minutes, I stood there staring at my reflection with a black face, and thinking of nothing. I decided to wash my face, and I would look up every few seconds to see if I had washed it enough to where it wasn't obvious I cried anymore. After enough face washing, I dried my face and walked out to sit on my couch.

"Huh, you would think it'd take me long to get used to this." I muttered to myself, pressing my knees to my chest.

I sighed, "I guess not."

I closed my eyes and tried to think of nothing, I tried to clear my head. However, it was pretty hard to do with the sound of footsteps slowly getting louder, and getting closer.

I sat properly and composed myself so that whoever may be out the door, they wouldn't think I'm distressed.

The door burst open, which is something I hadn't expected, and I saw Felix trying to catch his breath, with Jeannette behind him.

The brunette looked concerned, and Felix looked like had just ran for his life.

"Athy!" Jeannette ran to me and hugged me.

I was confused, what was happening?

"Your highness, his majesty requests your presence.." Felix looked down, not wanting to meet my eyes.

"What? Why?"

Jeannette then loosens our hug and looked me in the eye with worry, "I-I don't know, but he wants you for his birthday.. Today."

I looked at her in disbelief. What could it be this time? He never did this in my past life.

"Your highness, he wants to see you now." Felix said, and I nodded as I followed him with Jeanette beside me.

I was nervous, and even though I didn't want to expect anything from this, I felt a little hope deep within my heart. However, I couldn't bear to be disappointed again, so I tried pushing it away.

Instantly, I remembered a certain crimson-eyed man for no reason.

Right, where is Lucas? What if they harm me today? I need him beside me..

After a few minutes, we were now in front of a huge door with two guards on each side.

As the door opened, I hear the announcer say, "Greetings to Her Highness, Jeannette de Alger Obelia, and, err... Athanasia."

I could tell that the announcer was hesitant to same my name alone, and they were confused as to why. Well, now he'll know.

Guards put me in the middle of the nobles, and though Jeannette and Felix tried to stay beside me, father ordered for them to stay away.

After that, there was silence. Of course, until papa spoke to one of the nobles.

"Do you know her?" Papa looked at him as he pointed to me.

"Of course, your majesty, she is your daughter, the crown princess." The noble proudly stated.

"Wrong," Papa's cold voice rang, making the noble's face fall, "this.. thing is not my daughter."

My heart sank, and I was already on the verge of crying.

"I hope you all know that. I only have one daughter, and that is Jeannette." He shrugged.

I couldn't take it anymore. One tear fell, and another followed, and before I knew it, I was crying silently in front of everyone.

I clenched my fists, I couldn't stop crying despite the humiliation it caused me.

I couldn't bear the silence anymore, "This isn't fair."

My voice sounded weak, and I even chuckled afterwards.

"What's not?" Papa asked.

"When I finally decide to stop trying on you, you came to me," I sobbed, "you made me see you as a father."

At this point, I was trembling, "And now, you're throwing it all away, leaving me the memories."

"I don't know what you're talking about." Claude said firmly.

I laughed, but it was humorless, "Of course you don't."

"And that's what hurts the most," I finally gained the courage to look him in the eye.

He stared back, "Lies."

"But what can I do?" I covered my face with my hands and said with a quieter voice, "what can I do now?"

I wiped my tears and tried my best not to let any tears spill again. I looked papa right in the eye, and with a weak smile, "I still love you, Dad."

And with that, I took off my heels and ran out the door as fast as I could. I remembered the magic Lucas taught me, it was about teleportation. With a snap of my hands, I was gone from the palace, and I found myself in a beautiful garden.