Chapter 41: Safe

Athy's POV

"Wait!"

We all turned to the disheveled and panicked Claude running towards me.

What?

He looked like he was in a hurry, but why?

He didn't even change out of his robe.

Suddenly, he ran to me and scooped me up, removing the rope from my head. 

"What-"

Claude only held me in his arms as if he's been missing me his whole life.

"Oh, Athanasia." He says, his voice trembling.

I could feel his hands shaking as he held me, and I observed his facial expressions.

He looks scared.

I staggered as I push myself away from his embrace, and his expression looked pained.

"What the hell are you doing?" I asked him, my tone a little too angry.

Everyone was confused, and nobody said a word, not even Claude. He only looked so agonized.

"Cancel the execution," He said to the host, then he turned to the crowd, "My daughter will not die today."

The commoners looked relieved and rejoiced, but some of the nobles who opposed me were displeased.

"You signed  the decree, Your Majesty!" 

"This is prejudice! You're letting her off the hook just because she's your daughter?!"

"Your Majesty, she has fooled you!"

But one glare from Claude and everyone shut up.

Claude turned to me; his facial expression switched from contempt to apologetic so fast.

I only looked at him without saying anything.

So now he remembers.

I laughed without humor.

How convenient.

Just when I finally learned to defend myself and not willingly die, you're here to show up and act like you saved me. Well, guess what? I didn't need your damn help.

"It seems you finally gained your sanity, Your Majesty." I scoffed.

Claude's face only contorted, he was pained by the unfamiliarity and tension between us.

"Athanasia," He pleaded, "Let's talk somewhere el-"

"Talk about what?" I feigned ignorance, "You finally realized your damned mistake, and I get to escape death. We have nothing to talk about."

He furrowed his brow, "I was wrong. I'm-"

"Untie me." I commanded the guard near me, ignoring Claude.

The guard, I noticed, was the same guard who insulted me this morning. I laughed humorlessly at the irony.

He slowly unties the rope and I stretched my hands over my head, sighing happily.

"Well, I mean we wouldn't want all this preparation and audience to waste, do we?" I turned to Claude, smiling.

They all could tell something was off, and nobody seemed amused.

"You," I pointed at the guard, "Come here."

The guard was uncomfortable and looked away, "I don't thi-"