Chapter 38: Regret

Claude's POV

Thud.

"I was only here to deliver this, Your Majesty." Her cold words stabbed at my chest.

Jeannette was standing fiercely in front of me, and her expression held no warmth towards me. Seeing her right there, it felt like she was a whole different person.

"Maybe if you read it, I'll consider even thinking about forgiving your revolting actions." She says, her voice full of contempt.

My revolting actions.

She meant about her sister.

"I'm sorry I couldn't deliver it properly," She says unapologetically as she turns to the door, "but you have two hands, I'm sure you can pick it up yourself."

And with that, the door slammed loudly.

I sighed.

Does she really not understand that everything I'm doing is for her well-being?

I mean, who the hell would take the time to do a trial when they already know who the culprit is?

I thought for a moment.

Am I really sure that it was that girl behind the poisoning?

The answer is no. 

I reacted accordingly to my feelings; I admit. I was already on edge because our relations with other foreign countries are hanging by a thread.

I was already under a lot of pressure, and you can imagine how badly I reacted upon finding out that my daughter has been poisoned.

I wasn't thinking rationally. 

I am frustrated with myself too.

Staring at the book resting on the ground, I decided to pick it up.

'My Lovely Princess' it read, as I bent over grab it.

She wants me to read this?

A damn fairy tale for children, really? But she didn't seem to be joking about it either.

I tossed it on the couch, scoffing, and went back to my desk.

I don't have enough time to read garbage.

I already had so much piled up work. With Jeannette refusing to cooperate with me and that girl detained, I was left with everything to do.

Not that I can't do it anyway.

I've dealt with paperwork more than these. I can handle it.

But it doesn't mean I don't need a break.

I leaned back and stared at the ceiling.

...

I shouldn't have made the decision for her to be executed.

In fact, it felt like as soon as I signed the decree, I instantly regretted it. I've no idea why.

But I can't take it back.

I can't take it back because I stupidly sealed it with the royal seal.

I should've ripped that paper up to shreds.

Damn those nobles. They were practically salivating for that document and snatched it instantly as soon as I sealed it.

I fell right into their trap.