eighteen

SUNLIGHT poured through the window, the sheer curtains allowing every beam into the room. The golden rays hit Carls torso perfectly as he lays beside me, his hand grasping my mind gently, as I lie my head against his shoulder. My gaze turns from his lips to the sun on his skin, both make my smile.

We just woke up, only 'good morning' has been exchanged between us, the rasp in his voice this early in the day gently warms his words as he speaks them. A part of my brain tries to remember him saying it and lock it away forever, so I can hear it whenever I want.

His other arm is wrapped around me, holding me gently against his side. His hand rubs up and down my torso gently, sending goosebumps up my spine as his skin hits mine, his hand stopping itself at my hip and traveling all the way to my shoulder.

"I never want to leave this room" I mumble against his skin as I hold myself against him tighter, before pressing a gentle kiss to his shoulder.

"If I had my way we never would" he smiles gently at me, before returning a kiss to me on the top of my head.

"I hope you get your way" I hum as I lift my head and meet my eyes to his.

Those blue eyes.

They gleam in the morning sun that floods the room, they hold the childlike joy that the world has tried to rob him of. The rest of him can lead you to believe that the world has succeeded, but it's when you look in his eyes that you can see it hadn't. I prayed it never would.

He moves his head forward and presses his lips against mine, softly. They just graze before they press against my jaw, then my cheek, then right above my right eye, and back to my lips again. It catches my breath, it always does. My brain locks this memory in, I'll always be able to remember what his lips felt like against my skin. I'll always be able to remember the smile that appeared on his face after he parted from me, pleased with himself, purely happy.

His brown hair messy from the hours of sleeping. A strand dangles right beside his eye, challenging itself to get as close as it can. My hand brushes it back before gently caressing his face. He softens under my touch, the smile staying strong on his lips as he watches me intently.

"What?" I ask as he stares at me.

"Nothing" he hums pleasantly.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" I laugh, brushing my thumb against the few freckles that scattered across his cheeks.

"Like what?" he asks, his tone inviting, wondering, inquisitive.

"Smiley" I breathe.

"Because you make me so fucking happy" he breathes before leaning forward and pressing his lips against mine. Our lips dance against the others gently. His hands gently caresses the side of my face, brushing his thumb against my cheek the same way I had to him. A smile turns my lips up and the kiss gently breaks apart.

His thumb grazes my bottom lip gently before his hand lies itself against his chest. The smile returns to his face.

"I think we should lock the doors and lie here forever and ever" I hum to him.

"I've always knew you were brilliant" he chuckles.

I bask in the comfort of his arms around me and the peace that we get to experience this morning. I don't take a second of it for granted. I absorb every bit of it that I can.

"I owe you" I mumble as we lie there.

"You owe me? For what?" he questions, his voice filled with confusion.

"For taking care of me" I whisper to him, as I hold him just a bit tighter.

"Why would you owe me for that Grace?" he questions, confusion twisted on his face.