twelve

SLEEPING was usually a time filled with nightmares and cold sweats. For the longest time it was the point of the day that I dreaded the most.

Not last night though. It became the part that I enjoyed the most.

I slept with Grace in my arms, my chest against her back. Her breathing light and gentle, her hands around my arms...holding her close. Not a single nightmare tried to drag me from my new found bliss, there were no cold sweats tearing me away from the warmth I felt.

For the first time in months, I slept through the night.

Morning came all to soon. My eyes peeled open before Graces, I lied there at just admired her. How her lips relaxed into the smallest smile while she slept, how her touch was still so electric even when she was dreaming. My hands found themselves brushing the hair out of her face and caressing her cheek, every so slightly.

My mind begged me to stop, not to let this day get to my head and distract me. I couldn't listen. I felt calmness that I had longed to feel for months, anger seemed to be the last thing on my mind. The urge to swallow down alcohol wasn't around, I had nothing to suppress. I was happy.

Within mere minutes, Grace began to wake up. Her face crinkling up before letting out a yawn. I propped my head up as I watched her awake, her eyes finally flicking open and meeting mine.

"G'morning" she said, her voice filled with sleep, the words melting off her tongue.

"Good morning"

"Have you been awake long?" she asked before yawning again and rubbing her eyes.

"No, just a couple minutes"

Grace nodded her head before closing her eyes gently and curling herself closer to me, allowing herself to feel close. It caused shivers throughout my body, I wanted her close to me so badly, but it was different when we were asleep. We didn't have to be alert and unmasked by feelings.

"Thank you for staying with me, I know you didn't have to and, I- uh, I really appreciate it" she says to me, her eyes still getting rid of the sleepy affects of night.

"You don't have to thank me, that makes it seem like I didn't want to do it"

She raises an eyebrow at me.

"Let's open the curtains Sunshine, let some light in here" I suggest.

She sighs loudly before sliding out from under the covers and walking over to the windows. Her hands grasp the long fabric and move it to the side, letting rays of light flood the bedroom. Facing me again as she walks back to the bed, the sunlight shines against her body, her skin glowing.

"How'd you sleep?" she asks me, once her body is under the covers next to mine.

"So good" I mumble against the pillow, causing a smile to grow from her lips.

Nodding her head, she went back to lying against me. My arms wrap themselves around her body again, and I hold her close to me.

"We should probably get up soon" I suggest, thinking about my father and Jack...along with their wandering minds.

"I don't want too" Grace admits.

"If I could have my way we'd do this all day, everyday"

"But you can't have your way" she says sadly as she faces me.

I slowly let go of her, wishing I had the guts to hold just a little bit longer. Her eyes don't resemble the happiness they held just moments ago.

"Just a few more minutes" she tries, smirking at me.