two

SHIVERS ran down my spine as I entered the cool air, finally leaving the infirmary and following Rick towards my new home with my bag slung on my back.

"This one here is yours, another girl stays here. She'll help you find your way. I'll see you around" Rick tells me as he points to the house with sturdy cream coloured siding and tall windows.

"Thank you" I managed as I stared in awe, slowly walking up the steps and taking in every bit of this miracle, hoping and praying that it wasn't some cruel mirage.

My hand grasped the cold metal door handle and slowly turned it and pushed forward and my body walked into something I couldn't have conjured up in my wildest dreams.

Heating and lights, lights working because of electricity... something I thought was long forgotten. Couches perfectly sat and bookshelves standing to the ceiling filled with literature I craved to indulge in.

"Who's down there?" a voice called from upstairs, I'm guessing the girl who stayed here.

"Grace. Rick told me I'd be staying in here" I called back up to the voice, making sure I kept my hand over the top of my knife as it lies comfortably in its sheath.

Foot steps come from the ceiling, the
second floor, and soon they travel down the stairs revealing a girl who looks my age who looks like she's completely avoided the world we're living in, Her skin is scrubbed clean along with her hair, it doesn't hold a single tangle. Her clothing has not one rip or stain and she doesn't have a single weapon.

"I'm Emilia" she says softly, a small smiling curling up at her lips, instantly revealing her innocence.

"Nice place" I whisper.

"I know. It's crazy. Follow me, I'll show you where your room is" she says, gesturing for me to follow her up the stairs, and I do.

We walk through a hall, with four doors. One is a bathroom, one is her room, one is mine and one is a spare.

A spare room.

"Here it is" Emilia says as she opens the door revealing cream walls with a wooden bed, covered by a warm looking comforter.

"Wow..." I whisper as I walk in, dropping me bag, staring in awe.

"I'll get you some clothes from my room and you can go take a shower" she says kindly as she turns and walks out.

Shower. Running water. What kind of miracle was this. How did I get this lucky.

Soon she returns holding a clean pair of leggings, a grey long sleeve shirt and some new undergarments.

"Thank you" I say as I take them from her.

"No problem, towels are in a stack on the counter, hairbrush is in the drawer and extra toothbrushes and toothpaste are in the cupboard, use what you want" she smiled before walking out of my room, leaving me alone.

Quickly, almost running I move my feet to the bathroom and shut the door behind me, locking it tightly, taking in the luxury of privacy.

I find myself looking into the mirror above the sink, but not recognizing who I saw. My once baby blue shirt clung to my body, covered in blood from walkers and people and dirt from sleeping on the ground. My once clean jeans sat on my body like they were trying to escape, with tears and rips all through them, and more blood and dirt painted on top of them. My long blond hair was matted with uncontrollable tangles and knots, blood and mud spread through out it, in its monstrosity. My face, caked with dirt that looked like it had been their for years, the only thing that looked normal were my bright green eyes, they distracted me from looking at my cracked, chapped lips.