fifteen

RELAXATION is always good in moderation, especially in the old world before the flesh eaters destroyed all we knew. However, in the new world relaxation is something that can put you in danger.

"I have an idea" I say to Carl as he opens up his last granola bar that he had in the box.

"What is it?"

"What if we went on a run?"

"The places around here are cleared out, we'd have to take a vehicle and head out a few miles or more" he explains to me as he takes a bite.

"I just need to get out of here and do something useful instead of sitting around here. I can't relax, relaxing gets you killed"

"You're not wrong..."

"So?"

"I'll talk to Glenn, my dad won't give us shit but Glenn might give us a car for today and a list of things to get" Carl tells me.

I get off of my chair and walk to the front door, standing and waiting for Carl.

"What?" he asks

"I wanna do it while it's still early in the day"

"Oh okay, so this is a now thing?" he states as he throws the empty granola bar box in the trash bag hanging off a knob.

He walks over, opens the coat closet and reaches onto the top shelf, grabbing a back pack, which I can only assume has some bare essentials in case the worst happens, as well as room for the supplies.

"Go get what you need and I'll meet you at your place" he tells me before kissing my forehead softly and walking out the front door.

I watch as he briskly walks over towards the centre of Alexandria in search of Glenn, his back pack gently hugging his toned back, a dirty red bandana hung off of it, ruffling with the gentle breeze. I watch him until he's out of my view after turning a corner.

I shut the door and walk towards the house that had become my source of safety. The sun was out, gently shining upon me, allowing me to feel the kiss of the rays against my exposed skin, reminding me of calm spring days when everything began to turn green once again.

My lips turn up into a smile thinking of the memory. My family and I outside playing a game of tag, or on the trampoline, or make believe. The fresh air would fill our lungs and fill us with such ecstasy, only going inside once it was too dark and the suns rays were no longer warming up the outside.

I wish I could relive that.

I take a deep breath and push the memory out of my head as I approach my house. The steps creek gently as I walk up them, however the door doesn't make a sound when I open it. I keep on my shoes, something I never would've done when life was normal, something my mother engrained into my brain was to never wear shoes in the house. I can only imagine what she would say if she saw me doing this, I chuckle thinking about it as I run up the stairs and into my room.

I grab my dirty old backpack and open it up for what's seems like the first time since I arrived here. It smells bad, it smells like rust, from the blood of flesh eaters and I'm sure some of my own from the injuries I've acquired on the journey. It's compartments are filled with tears and small holes. It's black fabric is spotted and streaked with dried mud, and dirt dust flies off of it as I shake it.

I place a sweater in the bag, incase something happens and we're stuck out there and the temperature drops. I go into the washroom and grab the bottle containing a small amount of hydrogen peroxide and throw it in the bag along with a face cloth. I walk slowly into what was Emilias room and go into the desk drawer that contained her knick knacks and grab her needle and spool of purple thread.