Jack Phillips

The first person who got me this interested in the Titanic I believe

The first person who got me this interested in the Titanic I believe. I wasn't nearly as interested in it like I was after learning about this man. I love a good mystery and he's filled to the brim with them. Okay and I may or may not have found him attractive in this photo.

April 11th, 1887 - April 15th, 1912

He is a Aries.

Jack Phillips was born in Farncombe, Surrey. The son of George Alfred Phillips, a draper and Ann (née Sanders), Phillips' family originally came from Trowbridge, Wiltshire, from a lineage of weavers, but moved to Farncombe around 1883. Phillips lived with his five siblings, of whom only two twin sisters survived to adulthood, above a draper's shop – Gammons – which his father managed in Farncombe Street. Educated at a private school on Hare Lane, then St John Street School, Phillips sang as a choirboy at St John the Evangelist – Farncombe's church.

Phillips celebrated his 25th birthday the day after Titanic's voyage began. Him and Bride celebrated with pastries brought from the first class dining room.

Phillips and Harold Bride stayed up all night on April 13th, 1912 fixing the radio because the one with the strongest signal broke down. This was actually against the rules at the time and they could have gotten into trouble for it because it was recommended that Marconi operators wait until the voyage was over for the radio to be fixed by a repair man.

On April 14th, 1912, while Bride was asleep (he was gonna relieve Phillips of his shift at midnight) and Phillips was busy contacting Cape Race and sending out passengers mail that was backed up thanks to the equipment breaking down the night before.

Shortly after 21:30, Phillips received an ice warning from the steamship Mesaba reporting a large number of icebergs and an ice field directly in Titanic's path. Phillips acknowledged Mesaba's warning and continued to transmit messages to Cape Race. Mesaba's wireless operator waited for Phillips to report that he had given the report to the bridge, but Phillips continued working Cape Race. The message was one of the most important warnings Titanic received, but it was never delivered to the bridge.