Lucile Carter

October 8th, 1875 - October 26th, 1934

She is a Libra

Lucile Stewart Carter Brooke (née Polk) was an American socialite and a survivor of the sinking of the RMS Titanic. She was said to be one of the heroines of the tragedy as she, with some of the other socially elite women, assisted in the rowing of one of the Titanic's lifeboats. She was born in Baltimore, Maryland as the daughter of William Stewart Polk (1827 - 1917) and Louisa Ellen Anderson (1844 - 1933) who were married in Montgomery, Tennessee on June 22nd, 1869. One of her paternal ancestors was the 11th US president, James Knox Polk (1795 - 1849). Lucile had two brothers: Anderson (March 17th, 1870 - 1949) and David Peale (May 9th, 1880 - 1959). 

Her Washington, D.C, born father had come to Baltimore and his family as an adolescent and began his career as a clerk with a shipping company until entering naval service in 1853 as a paymaster before receiving an appointment to the Virginia Military Institute. With the outbreak of the Civil War he was commissioned a Captain of Engineers for the Confederate Army served in that capacity for the duration, later returning to Baltimore where he became involved with the insurance business, entering the underwriting field in 1866 as a member of the firm of John S. Selby & Co., later becoming sole partner of the agency. He later married Lou Ellen Anderson, a native of Kentucky, in 1869.

Lucile's father was a partner in the very successful insurance brokerage firm Hopper Polk and Purnell of Baltimore and was fairly wealthy. Coming from wealth and pedigree, Lucile was universally described as one of the most beautiful young women in Baltimore social circles. Her engagement to Philadelphia-born mining heir William Ernest Carter was announced in 1895. They married at Franklin Street Presbyterian Church in Baltimore on January 29th, 1896. Lucile and William had 2 children: Lucile Polk (1898 - 1962) and William Thornton (1900 - 1985).

The family travelled extensively in Europe, especially in England where they remained for protracted periods. Passenger lists furnish proof of their voyages in 1902, 1904 - 1906, 1907, 1908 - 1910. On February 20th, 1906, at the first Royal levee of the season, Whitelaw Reid, United States Ambassador to the United Kingdom, presented William Ernest Carter to King Edward VII. Lucile after appears in gossip pages, noted her athletic prowess (she was reportedly the first woman to play polo riding astride) and her beauty. Her glamorous and often audacious fashions were also frequently noted, one example coming from the Times Dispatch on May 16th, 1911. 

In May of 1911, The Carter Family sailed aboard the RMS Lusitania for England once again. They participated in the Coronation ceremony of Their Majesty King George V and Queen Mary and the London season. In winter, William rented Rotherby Manor in Melton-Mowbray district, Leicestership to attend the hunting season.

Onboard The Titanic:
In March of 1912, the family decided to return to America and made reservations on the RMS Olympic, departing from Southampton on April 3rd. At the last minute, they changed their plans and booked cabins on Titanic. The family boarded the Titanic at Southampton as first class passengers, they occupied B-96 and 98. Also traveling was Lucile's maid, Augusta Serreplaá, William's manservant Alexander Cairns, and traveling in second class, William's chauffeur Augustus Aldworth. Two family pets were also making the crossing, an Airedale terrier and Lucile's Pekinese spaniel, probably named Me Too.