Roderick Robert Crispin Chisholm

December 20th, 1868 - April 15th, 1912

He is a Sagittarius

Member of the Guarantee Group

Roderick Robert Crispin Chisholm was a Scottish shipbuilder. He co-designed the RMS Titanic with Thomas Andrews. He was born in Dunbarton, Dunbartonship, Scotland as the son of a Scottish father, James Chisholm (born 1832), a shipwright, and an English mother, Sophia Voaden (born 1841). His mother was from Devon whilst his father hailed from Urray, Ross-shire. They married in Devon in 1860. Roderick had seven known siblings: James (born 1861), Duncan (born 1863), James (born 1864), Mary (born 1886), Charlotte (born 1871), John (born 1877), and Jessie (born 1879).

Contemporary press states that Roderick had been in the employment of Harland & Wolff for some 20 years by 1912; his profession took him from Cyberbank, Scotland to Belfast, Ireland in the early 1890's. He was one of the leading, and contemporary press suggests, one of the most skilled draughtsmen in the company and he was at the forefront in the design of the RMS Olympic and RMS Titanic. Highly respective in his field, he was also reportedly an accomplishment linguist. He was married in Knockbreda Parish Church, Belfast on February 24th, 1897 to Susan Anderson. Susan was born May 15th, 1873 in east Belfast as the daughter of Thomas Smyth Anderson, a clerk (and later a director) of a felt works, and the former Elizabeth McKinley.

Roderick and Susan had two children: Alice (November 22nd, 1897) and James ( June 24th, 1899). Roderick died in the sinking and his body if recovered, was never identified. Susan died February 22nd, 1961 at the age of 87 and she was buried in Roselawn Cemetery, Belfast with James. Roderick is remembered on their headstone. James appears to have never married and was involved in two separate road traffic accidents. He died on September 18th, 1960. Alice was married in Belfast to dentist Alfred McCambley (1893 - 1976) and they raised a family. Alice died on February 11th, 2002 at the age of 104 and is buried in Roselawn Cemetery, Belfast.

Portrayals:
Christopher Patrick Nolan (Titanic: Birth of A Legend; 2005; TV documentary)

Sources:
Wikipedia
www.encyclopedia-titanica.org
IMDb.com