William Thornton II Carter

September 14th, 1900 - January 28th, 1985

He is a Virgo

William Thornton II Carter was born in Narragansett Pier, Washington County, Rhode Island as the son of William Ernest Carter (1875 - 1940) and Lucile Stewart Polk (1875 - 1934). He had two sisters: Lucile Polk Carter (1897 - 1962) and a half sister, Elizabeth Muhlenberg (1916 - 2016).

Onboard The Titanic:
Following a trip to Europe, In March of 1912, the family decided to return to America and made reservations on the RMS Olympic, departing from Southampton on April 3rd. At the last minute, they changed their plans and booked cabins on Titanic. The family boarded the Titanic at Southampton as first class passengers, they occupied B-96 and 98. Also traveling was Lucile's maid, Augusta Serreplaá, William's manservant Alexander Cairns, and traveling in second class, William's chauffeur Augustus Aldworth. Two family pets were also making the crossing, an Airedale terrier and Lucile's Pekinese spaniel, probably named Me Too.

April 14th-15th, 1912:
On the night of the sinking, The Carter entourage was among a number of first class passengers who had been earmarked to leave in lifeboat 4, the party of over two dozen being shuttled between the boat deck and A-deck where lifeboat 4 had been lowered to. Lifeboat 4 had been lowered to A-deck but difficulties in opening the windows on that promenade had delayed its loading, much to the annoyance of the many affluent passengers waiting. The Carters were among the passengers waiting. If his father was present at the time is more certain.

According to lore, young Jack Ryerson, just over a year older then William Jr, had been stifled from entreating lifeboat 4 by Charles Lightoller on accounts that he was too old. Only the protestations of Arthur Ryerson that he was only 13 years old let him pass into the boat. Allegedly, Lucile, observing the exchange, immediately rushed to William Jr, taking her hat off her head, and putting it on his head to try and disguise him as a girl. The veracity of this version of events is debatable. William Jr was forced to leave his dog behind; he wept at the prospect but was reassured by John Jacob Astor IV that he would look after the animal. The last he saw is his dog was the sight of Astor holding the animal's leash.

After The Sinking:
Lucile and William divorced and his mother remarried George Clymer Brooke Jr. In 1919, he accompanied his father to Europe aboard the RMS Mauretania with the intent of studying in England, France, Switzerland, and Italy. Following his father into the banking world, William Jr was married on May 12th, 1925 in Rosemont, Pennsylvanian to Cintra Hutchinson Ellis (born August 18th, 1902), a native of Radnor, Pennsylvania and had two children: Rudolph Ellis (born 1926) and Cintra Helen (born 1930).

William Jr. continued to travel extensively and shows up on passenger manifests for: France, Homeric, Monarch of Bermuda, Aquitania, and lle de France. He appears on the passenger records as late as September of 1956. William Jr and Cintra later divorced and he remarried Ella de Tréville Snelling (born April 15th, 1901). William Jr remained in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania for the rest of his life. He disliked discussing the Titanic discouraged any television, radio, and newspaper outlets that wished to speak to him about the disaster. Although having no direct human loss in the sinking, it has been said that he remained emotional about the loss of his dog and stayed being an avid animal lover for the rest of his life.

Death:
William Jr died at the age of 84. He was buried in the Carter family mausoleum in West Laurel Hill Cemetery in Bala Cynwyd, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. He was the last surviving member of the Carter family aboard Titanic; his death left only 2 surviving first class passengers of the disaster and he was survived by Elizabeth, who died at the age of 100 in 2016 and Ella, who died October 15th, 1984. 

Cintra remarried and later became Mrs. Howard Cleugh Fair (1905 - 1987). She died in Delaware, Pennsylvania on April 5th, 1956.

Rest In Peace William Thornton II Carter.

The source I used was www.encyclopedia-titanica.org