Mary Bourke

No Picture Available

June 11th, 1871 - April 15th, 1912

She is a Gemini

Mary Bourke was born in Carrowskeheen, Addergoole, Co Mayo, Ireland to William Bourke (born 1840), a farmer, and Mary O'Boyle (born 1848) who married on March 5th, 1867. Her only known sibling was John (born 1869). Her mother died at a young age and her father remarried another Mayo woman named Margaret (born 1837) who was destined to outlive him. Mary and John appear on the 1901 census of Ireland living in at house 11 in Carrowskeheen, living with Margaret and was described as a farmer's servant and she never married. Margaret died sometime later.

Onboard Titanic/April 14th-15th, 1912:
John was married in early 1911 to Catherine McHugh (born 1879), a native of Tawnagh, Co Mayo who had emigrated in the USA, spending time in Chicago, Illinois before returning to Ireland in 1910. Mary, John, and Catherine appear on the 1911 census living at the same address as they appeared on the previous census. Catherine McGowan returned to her native Mayo in late 1911 with the intention of returning to Chicago in the following spring. This perhaps prompted Mary, John, and Catherine made plans to emigrate to Chicago where Catherine's sister Ellen lived at Ruby Street in Chicago.

She joined with a large group of people called The Addergoole 14 who would be travelling in third class aboard the RMS Titanic and Mary boarded the Titanic at Queenstown, Ireland in April 11th, 1912. On the night of sinking Mary, John, and Catherine were still reportedly asleep at the time of the collision but were awakened by a steward who told them to get up and dressed. The three of them perhaps with the others they were traveling with all made it to the upper decks. Mary and Catherine had ample opportunity to escape but they declined to be parted from John under the women and children first rule and the 3 of them were lost in the sinking.

Sources:
www.encyclopedia-titanica.org

Rest In Peace Mary Bourke.