Mauritz Björnström-Steffansson

November 9th, 1883 - May 21st, 1962

He is a Scorpio

Mauritz Håkan Björnström-Steffansson was born to Erik Samuel Steffansson and Berta Maria Björnström. Maurntiz was the son of one of the pioneers of Swedish pulp industry. After finishing his studies in Stockholm's technical university he got a job in Rydö sulphite plate. Since 1909, he had been living in Washington as the holder of Swedish government scholarship. He is also recorded as being a Swedish military attaché in Washington. however in an interview he said: "...I should wish that you strongly would deny the rumors spread in the American newspapers that I am an attache at the Washington embassy.

Onboard Titanic/April 14th-15th, 1912:
He boarded the RMS Titanic at Southampton as a first class passenger. It's possible that he shared cabin C-52 with Hugh Woolner. Just prior to the collision, Maurtiz had been drinking a hot lemonade in the first class smoking room with other gentlemen, there was a slight jar but he barely noticed and returned to his drink while others went off to investigate. He knew nothing of the danger until an officer came in and ordered passengers to get their lifebelts and report on the boat deck.

While Mauritz was on deck he joined Hugh Woolner to assist women, among them Helen Churchill Candee, into lifeboat 6. Helen was supposed to be the responsibility of Archibald Gracie IV but, with at least 4 other unaccompanied ladies in his charge, he was nowhere to be seen. Woolner and Mauritz heard pistol shots. They were fired by Purser Herbert McElroy to prevent a rush on Collapsable D which had just been fitted into the davits previously occupied lifeboat 1. The men rushed over and helped the officer pull men out of the boat and loading soon resumed. At 2.00 AM, the two men found themselves alone near the open forward end of A-Deck, just above them Collapsable D was slowly descending towards the sea, as the water rushed up to the deck towards them they got onto the railing and leapt into the boat, Mauritz landed in a heap at the bow, Woolner's landing was similarly undignified but they were safe.

After The Sinking/Later Life/Death:
Whilst returning to New York on the RMS Carpathia, Mauritz and some other survivors Frederic K. Seward (Chairman), Karl H. Behr, Molly Brown, George Harder, Frederic Oakley Spedden, and Issac Frauenthal formed a committee to honour the bravery of Captain Rostron and his crew. They would present the Captain with an inscribed silver cup and medals to each of the 320 crew members.

He married Mary Pinchot Eno in 1917. According to his obituary been introduced to Mary by Helen of Washington, a fellow survivor of the disaster. Mary died in 1953. They had no children. Mauritz retired in the 1930's; he died May 21st, 1962 leaving a fortune from pulp and land investments. His home on Manhattan. Besides the sister listed in his obituary (Mrs. J. H Douglas Webster of London), he also left a nephew, Thord B. Steffanson, who settled first in Michigan and later moved permanently to New York City and was a beneficiary of much of his uncle's wealth. Thord died in New York City in January of 1977 at the age of 68.

Sources:
www.encyclopedia-titanica.org

Rest In Peace Mauritz Björnström-Steffansson.