Herbert Gifford Harvey

February 4th, 1873 - April 15th, 1912

He is a Aquarius

Herbert Gifford Harvey was born in Belfast, Ireland and grew up in a Church of Ireland household. He was the son of James Thompson Harvey (1841 - 1909), a partner of Messrs. Lawther and Harvey, ship owners, in Belfast and Elizabeth Garston Gifford (1840 - 1915) who had married in 1868. He had seven known siblings: Norman Gifford (born 1869), twins Margaret and Mary (born 1870), William Coates (born 1871), Annabel Netterville (1873 - 1916), Stanley St George (born 1874), and Norman Barbazon (born 1879).

Herbert was educated at the Belfast Royal Academy in North Belfast and later Portora Royal School, in Enniskillen, Co Fermanagh. His apprenticeship was served in the locomotive works of the old Belfast and Northern Counties Railway in York Street, Belfast. At the call of volunteers during the Boer War in 1899, he was one of the first to join the 46th Company Imperial Yeomanry, with whom he was in the Lindley disaster and afterwards being attached to one of the regular regiments, he was in several engagements, gaining the Queen's Medal with three clasps and King's medal with one clasps.

On his return from South Africa, Herbert spent some time with the shore staff at Harland & Wolff in Belfast, and then joined Messrs. Lawther, Latta & Co., managing owners of the Nitrate Producers Steamship Co. Ldt., serving with this company for 18 months, and leaving their vessel the Juanita North to join the White Star Line. He was appointed assistant third engineer of the RMS Teutonic in 1907, later becoming assistant second engineer. On the Olympic, he was assistant third engineer, later being transferred to the Titanic as junior assistant second. He held a first class certificate.

Herbert was a Freemason and engaged to be married but the identity of his fiancée is unknown.

Onboard Titanic/April 14th-15th, 1912:
Herbert was onboard the Titanic for her delivery trip from Belfast to Southampton. As Junior Assistant Second Engineer, he would expect to earn monthly wages of £12, 10s. At the time of Titanic's collision with the iceberg, he was on duty in the engine room and this is where he was last seen. He was lost in the sinking and his body of recovered, was never identified. He and Jonathan Shepherd may have been the first victims of the sinking.

Herbert is remembered on the family headstone in Belfast City Cemetery in Ireland.

Supposedly he died trying to save Jonathan Shepherd. That and the fact that he worked down below during the sinking earns him my respect. Rest In Peace Herbert Harvey.

The sources I used were www.encyclopedia-titanica.org