Chapter 15, Part 2: Penny's POV

Mondays always sucked, but this Monday managed to fall under the Worst Days Ever category. I forgot I had a chemistry test today—definitely failed that. I got my history exam back—I did okay, but I got some questions wrong that I knew the answers to (so I obviously read the questions too fast). And to top it all off, Annoying Brother Number One thought it'd be a wonderful idea to only give my English class one week to read and write a report on a book from a predetermined list.

And the day was only halfway over.

Thank goodness for lunch. Without this break, I wouldn't make it through the day. I had no idea how on earth Owen was getting by in ISS—but it's not like I cared. That asshole deserved every second he spent there.

I'd meant what I said when I said I was done with Owen the Asshole. And the same went for my other brothers. If they wanted to be jerks, then five could play that game.

"Thank you," I said to the lunch lady as she handed me my burger. A puddle of grease leaked through the bun and onto the plate—certainly enough to give Dana a heart attack just from the sight. But it was my body, and I could put whatever the hell I wanted into it ... when I was in the lunchroom, away from him.

A quick stop at the salad bar for my toppings, and I was off to find somewhere to sit. The decision shouldn't have been a difficult one—having been banished from talking to Caroline, I didn't really have anyone to sit with. So there was a nice shiny seat at the loner table with my name on it.

"Penny!" Caroline waved me over from where she sat across from Micah.

I waved back. I hadn't spoken to Caroline since Friday. Not because I didn't want to, but because the only class we'd had together thus far was English ... and since Ben had assigned our work groups today, Caroline and I had been separated. Of course.

My brothers had been crystal clear about wanting me to stay away from her. Yet I found myself walking in her direction without any hesitation.

I could get in trouble if anyone saw me sitting with her. But I didn't care. Besides, Caroline at least had the right to know how unfair my brothers were being. She was my best friend—she'd always take my side.

"Hey Caroline," I said, setting my lunch tray down. "Hey Micah."

"You never texted me back the other night," Caroline said as I sat down. "I wanted to make sure you got home okay."

"Sorry, Ben took my phone." I sighed. "My brothers were pissed that I went on that date."

"Damn, they really don't want you to have any fun, huh?" Micah questioned.

"That's an understatement ..." I watched as Caroline stroked Micah's hand in hers. Seeing those two so happy together kind of made me miss being in a relationship of my own; but just the thought of fighting with my brothers about it gave me a headache. I wasn't ready to give up on dating; now just wasn't the time. "They grounded me for a month."

"Are you fucking serious?" Caroline said. "A whole month?"

"Oh it gets better ..." I squeezed the buns of my burger to make it easier to bite. "They also said I'm not allowed to talk to you two anymore."

"Me?" Micah said as Caroline gasped. "What the hell did I do?"

"Nothing ..." I said after swallowing my first bite. It wasn't worth reminding Micah of the horrific reputation he already had at Willow Academy. "They're just being ridiculous."

"I thought your brothers liked me ..." Caroline said softly.

"They do—I mean ... look Caroline, just don't take it personally."