Chapter 9, Part 1: Owen's POV

I was sure I looked more than worse for wear as I trudged to the cafeteria for lunch. I was technically supposed to be with Cooper all day, but I think he was tired of looking at the pitiful looks I'd been shooting him all morning. He'd really done a number on my ass, and I had no problem reminding him of that with well-placed winces every time I so much as moved. The rest of the morning had been spent in ear-splitting silence, me working on the homework that had been sent down, and he disappearing every few moments to do whatever it is soccer coaches do. In other words, gossiping to other coaches, passing half-hearted glares to lingering students, and straightening the calendar which always loosened on one corner.

I tried to ignore the stiffness of my eyes from crying earlier, and hoping that my face still wasn't red. No doubt someone would comment if I looked like I had been sniveling like some toddler, and I wasn't sure I could hold myself back, not with the fragile state my emotions were already in. That, coupled with my new resolution to stay out of trouble for good, had me wiping my face a few extra times to rid any lingering tear tracks.

I stepped into the crowded lunchroom and headed immediately for the pizza line. There was a reason they called the stuff comfort food.

"Thanks, Janis," I muttered with a weak smile, grabbing my tray and sauntering toward the open mass of tables. Students were smattered here and there, talking in loud tones. I couldn't even hear myself think, and I welcomed the roar of conversation.

I scanned the tables, looking for a familiar face. A gentle hand on my arm stopped the search. My head swiveled toward the right to where Leah stood, smirking faintly.

"Hey, Trouble," she spoke lowly, her eyes bouncing with mischief. In all reality, it was her I should have directed my anger towards. It was her note that had started this whole debacle. Or, maybe we should blame Peskova's affinity for terrible tattoos and low-waisted pants.

I snorted at the thought, leaning into Leah's hold around my elbow. Her nails were purple. The pop of color contrasted against my pale skin. I didn't really care about that sort of thing, but Willow Academy didn't allow nail polish. Penny complained about it all the time, but I couldn't give two shits. It wasn't as if I longed to have a candy apple red polish to match my team jersey. However, the fact that the polish wasn't even subtle, that Leah didn't even bother hiding her fingers when teachers walked by, made me like her even more.

She was like one of the guys, only she smelled nice, and had... other benefits.

"Hey," I said, trying to lower my voice; it only resulted in me sounding like Fat Albert. I blushed, coughed into my hand, and tried again.

"I was looking for you."

Leah raised one thin eyebrow, smirking at my awkwardness. " I know." She spoke with confidence and finality.

"So..." I scratched at the back of my neck anxiously. The Styrofoam tray which held my greasy pizza was beginning to bend.

"Let's get out of here, yeah?" Leah cocked her head toward the doors which lead out into the courtyard.

"Yeah," I swallowed. "You hungry?" I asked, because her hands were empty.

"Nah," she said. "I've had all I want."

I tried not to see the double meaning in her words as I followed her out the cafeteria doors. The view from back there sure was nice.

"So, does that mean I'm not going to see you all week?" Leah asked with a slight pout. We were sprawled on the grass overlooking the soccer field, but I knew the bleachers obscured us from view. The lunch bell would ring any minute now, and I couldn't help but feel disappointed.