Chapter 12: Owen's POV

I remember going to the ice rink once, with a big group of friends from the soccer team. We were on winter break, and the constant snow had kept us from going out too much, so we all had a rather large dose of cabin fever. It was one of the rare days I was allowed out without constant adult supervision, and I was basking in it.

We'd strapped our skates on and were cruising around the rink, showing off a bit. I'd been skating on road and ice since I was seven or so, and considered myself to be pretty skilled. I was showing off in particular that day – whipping out little jumps and spins, all with a grin plastered on my cocky face—because a girls' figure skating class just happened to be in session on the other side of the rink. I just knew I was the shit, busting moves that were sure to impress them. I'd just gotten a cell phone, and figured maybe I could fill up the contact list so I wouldn't be so bored for the rest of the break.

I made sure to careen toward their side of the rink a couple times, flashing a quirk of my lips, a waggle of my brows. I was sure the ladies were just eating me up. I did a little swivel, skating backwards and zig-zagging my feet between one another.

A couple girls rolled their eyes, but I knew they had to act that way because girls liked to play "hard to get". I winked, spinning around and speeding up quite a bit. I tried to mimic a girl I'd seen skating with her leg straight out, making a 90 degree angle with the ice. It looked easy, and I figured if I could mimic one of their skills, I had a better chance of getting someone's number.

However, as I bent into the move, my body began wobbling uncontrollably. It was almost impossible to balance on the slippery ice, and I fell face first, skidding a few feet. My heart flew into my throat, and I was absolutely floored that I had fallen on what I thought was such a simple move. I don't think I had been so surprised (and mortified) in my life, besides the drug bust at the dance last semester.

Until now.

There was no way that could be Penny, I tried to tell myself, rising slightly out of the booth to get a better look at the corner. No, it was most definitely Penny, and there was most definitely a guy next to her. Two guys, in fact.

What the everlasting fuck!

My heart was in my throat, just like in the rink, and it was becoming increasingly difficult to breathe properly. I had begun to walk toward the table, unsure of to handle this. Firstly, we were in a public place, and secondly, I was on a date that I absolutely could not screw up.

The group of four were too busy laughing their heads off to even notice me approaching their table. Three of the four looked familiar—my sister, Caroline Rivers, and Micah Drewbury. The unfamiliar face was the guy sitting next to Penny, and I wasn't sure whether or not to be relieved that I didn't recognize him. But ... at least he wasn't Zach Oliver.

I couldn't form the right words, or any words really, as I stood by their table, waiting for their laughing fit to be over. I didn't even know what to say. Two guys, two girls, each guy with their hand around one of the girls' chairs ... it didn't take a genius to figure out what was going on here. What I couldn't wrap my mind around was how on earth we'd even gotten to this point. Sure, it was a miracle that my brothers even let me out of the house considering how much trouble I was in; but Dictatorship BDC would never, and I mean never let Penny go on a date, especially without some kind of supervision. This was Penny, our baby sister, we were talking about after all.

"O-Owen?" Penny said as she and the others finally noticed my presence. "What are you doing here?"

"I was just about to ask you the same question," I responded as the ability to formulate words finally came back to me. Once Penny had wiped away the tears that had formed from laughing so hard, I saw sheer panic spread across her face.