Chapter 10, Part 2: Penny's POV

My life was spiraling out of control.

First, Cooper, Ben, and Dana were overreacting about my fake cutting problem. Then I catch Owen almost kissing that new bitch Lana, or Liza, or Llama or whatever her name was. And finally, I'd spilled my best friend's deepest darkest secret.

Maybe only two of those three things were my fault, but still—knowing that Owen had feelings for a girl probably bothered me the most. This was Owen Kherrington. The boy who collected so many pokemon cards, he had to keep them in three different shoe boxes. The boy who tried to convince me to dress as Luigi when he was Mario three Halloweens in a row (until I finally gave in one year). And the boy who used to tease me about how girls have cooties. Pokemon, Mario, and cooties—those were the things Owen should have been into, not girls. Sure, Owen was older than me and it'd make sense for him to be at an age when he should like girls since I already liked boys ... but again, this was Owen we were talking about. Besides, it didn't seem like Ben, Dana, or Cooper (post-the whole Jane Corella situation) were looking for any kind of relationship ... Owen should've taken after them.

But I'd deal with the Owen-Bitch situation later. Right now, I was focused on speaking with Caroline before I had to continue the "open-door" policy at home the rest of the weekend. Hopefully I could talk to her before her guidance counselor did.

I somehow managed to convince Ben that I'd left some of my study materials at school, and needed to go back to get them. It seemed like the perfect excuse to go talk to Caroline ... until I got to her dorm room, and nobody answered. Her lack of response made me fear the worse: that she knew I'd squealed, and she was ignoring me.

Thank goodness for her neighbor across the hall—she came out of her room after hearing me call for Caroline over and over, and told me my BFF had left for the soccer field a little while ago.

With this new piece of information, I booked it out to the soccer field. I wasn't sure how long my conversation with Caroline would take, but I knew I didn't have much time before my brothers expected me back home.

"Caroline!" I shouted as soon as I spotted her at the far end of the field. As I waved to her, I realized she wasn't alone. She was passing the ball back and forth with none other than Owen's bitch.

What the hell was she doing around my best friend? Wasn't it bad enough that she'd already tried to manipulate my big brother?

When Caroline completely ignored me and followed the bitch in a direction away from me, I figured she'd already gotten to her too.

"Caroline, wait!" I shouted while chasing after her.

"Leave me alone, Penny," Caroline said while picking up her soccer ball.

"Caroline, I gotta tell you something," I said, disregarding her annoyed tone.

"I don't want to hear anything from you."

It sounded like she already knew what I'd done.

"But Caroline, I—"

"You promised, Penny!" Caroline slammed the ball on the ground. "You promised you wouldn't tell anyone!"

"I know, Caroline! And I'm so sorry! But let me explain!"

"Wanna take some shots on me, Caroline?" the bitch asked. "It might help you release some of that anger caused by you-know-who ..."

"Good idea, Leah," Caroline said while walking towards the edge of the goalie box.

I stepped in front of Caroline after she took a couple steps away from me.

"I'm really, really, sorry, Caroline," I said while putting my hands on her shoulders.

"You promised," Caroline repeated while pushing my hands off her.