Chapter 3, Part 1: Penny's POV

Somehow, despite escaping Cooper's clutches, I was still in the hallway by the time the late bell rang. All that running I'd done both during and right after first period had made me sweaty, which meant I had to struggle to change back into my normal clothes while I was still sweating, which meant my clothes weren't cooperating with me and were sticking in places they weren't supposed to. Long story short, it wasn't really my fault that I was late.

It was way too far of a walk to go back to the gym to ask Cooper for a late slip, so I decided to just go with the flow. Besides, I had Jane—I mean, Ms. Corella this period, the biggest pushover there was on the Willow Academy faculty. She never made anyone bring her a late slip.

Even if it was just art class, I still felt bad about being late. So when I got to the door, I tried as best as I could to sneak into the room. Unfortunately, the squeak of the rusty old door hinges gave me away.

"Sorry," I said as I slipped into the classroom. The only person that really looked up and acknowledged my tardiness was Ms. Corella. Everyone else kept on doodling in their notebook or secretly texting under the table or whatever their go-to was while Ms. Corella was talking at the beginning of class.

"Penny, you're late," Ms. Corella said as I unsuccessfully tried to quietly shut the door behind me. Usually Ms. Corella just smiled at me or motioned for me to have a seat—she was the last teacher I thought would call out anyone for being late ... especially me.

"I know. Sorry."

"Where's your late slip?"

That got the entire class' attention. No one had ever heard Ms. Corella mention a late slip before.

"Um ..." I tilted my head in confusion. "I ... didn't think I needed one."

"Usually I'm lenient about students being late to my class," she said. "But this isn't the first time this month that you've been late without a late slip."

She got me there. I had been late to her class one other time this month, but that also wasn't my fault! I had to go back to my dorm to get my art project since I'd taken it out of the classroom to work on over the weekend. Even though I knew my reasoning was solid, Ms. Corella didn't seem to be in all that great of a mood, so I figured telling her what she wanted to hear (again) was the best way out of this. "I'm sorry."

"I'm afraid sorry isn't going to cut it this time, Penny," Ms. Corella said. "So you can do one of two things: go back to your last class and get a late slip, or go down to the office and get a detention slip."

My jaw dropped. "A detention slip?"

"The choice is yours," she said. "But please make it quickly. I'd like to get back to my lesson."

"But Ms. Corella, you don't understand," I said. "I'm late because Coach K was talking to me after gym class." Surely she'd let me off after I mentioned her little boy toy.

"Good," she said. My statement seemed to peaked her interest. "Then you can go get a late slip from him."

Or not.

"But—"

"Please leave the classroom, Penny," Ms. Corella said, pointing at the door behind me. "And don't come back without a slip."

My classmates all sat on the edge of their stools, waiting to see what I was gonna say or do next. Honestly, what could I say or do next except leave. Ms. Corella had made my options as clear as day, and it wasn't very hard to choose which one to go with.

Guess I was gonna be asking Cooper for a late slip after all.

"Fine," I said as I reluctantly went out the door. This time I made it a point to not close it quietly (but I didn't slam it either—there was no need to cause a bigger scene than there'd already been).