Chapter 1: Abandoned

Abandoned 

Abandoned 

"Wake up Grace" Dick lightly shook the girl trying his best not to scare her. After a couple of shakes, he finally woke her up. As she was sitting up Dick turned on the lamp that was sitting on the nightstand next to her bed. 

"What do you want?"  Grace signed to Dick, now grabbing the batteries for her hearing aid off the charger. 

"It's time to get up, you slept longer than usually do."  Dick signed back while watching the girl carefully read his hand movements. Grace has been deaf for about 3 years after an explosion due to two-face. No matter what people might think she can still do everything she used to do and that includes fighting crime, even if it is more difficult than it used to be. 

Before responding Grace carefully placed the batteries into her hearing aids and put them into her ears now giving her the ability to hear pretty, much everything. As much as she claims that she's fine with having to live with having to hear out of a device she misses being able to hear the light sound of the rain tapping on her window while she reads. She misses the way she could hear when dick or even Bruce would have music playing softly throughout the mansion. Yes, she has a hearing aid but that doesn't mean she can hear everything, and even if she could hear everything it still isn't the same. 

"I didn't sleep longer I just fell asleep later than usual," Grace replied her voice a little hoarse from just waking up, but her voice did change a little after going deaf, but the was expected to happen. 

"Okay well, Alfred is making breakfast and wants both of us downstairs," Dick said. 

"Let me get dressed," Grace replied getting out of her bed. Dick just nodded and left. After about 5 minutes Grace was ready and dressed she didn't bother showering considering after breakfast she was going to go train.  Grace walked downstairs to the dining room and sat down in her usual chair next to Dick waiting for  Alfred to bring breakfast. After a minute or two Alfred walked into the dining room and placed the plates in front of them.

"Is that all Master Dick and Miss, Wayne?" He asked making sure the two were happy with their meal. Dick just nodded and started digging into the meal, but Grace had something else on her mind.

"Alfred why do you continue to cook for us when we are perfectly able to cook for ourselves," Grace said feeling bad for Alfred. 

Alfred looked at the girl and a small smile grew on his face and just said "It's my job to take care of you two, just as I did for Master Wayne when he was young."  After that, he walked back into the kitchen to go clean up the mess from making breakfast. 

"I still don't get why he won't let us help him, he does so much for us," Grace said before she started eating her breakfast. 

"This is Alfred we're talking about, have you ever seen him once ask for help?"  Dick replied. Grace took a second to try to remember if Alfred has ever asked for help and couldn't think of anything, so she just replied with a head shake. "Exactly." That was the last thing Dick said about the topic. So for the rest of breakfast Grace and Dick just talked about random things.