Chapter 5: Memories

Memories

Memories

TW! Talks about abuse, drug use, and abandonment. (A look into some of Grace's past)

Grace didn't know where she was going, she just let her feet take her away. She needed to get away from everything, Bruce, Jason, Phobia, and even Dick. She walked for what felt like miles, but somehow whenever she goes on a walk she always ends up in the same area. An area she knew all too well. An area that brought back all these memories, parts of her past she would do anything to forget about.

She knew she shouldn't go but her mind didn't tell her body to go back, instead her mind told her body to continue walking. Grace knew she shouldn't but she couldn't help it. Grace had tried so hard to bury her past but one way or another it always comes back.

Grace continued to walk until she got to an alleyway. The alleyway. It only took a single glance at the alleyway for all the memories she tried her hardest to forget about came all flooding back like a huge wave. She tried to push the memories away but no matter how hard she fought the memories always won. Grace tried her hardest to walk away from the abandoned alley and to never relive all those memories. But she caved Grace went to the alley anyway. She found no one there, which was weird considering all the other times there were at least a couple of homeless people there.

Grace walked to the end of the alley and found a corner of the alley that was all too familiar to her. As she slowly sat down in the corner and let all the memories flood back.

~Flashback~

9-year-old Grace and her mother, Monica had just come back from a small lunch, they had shared a meal from McDonald's. This was a very rare treat for Grace, her family had always been poor. Her mother was an addict and would often bring men to their trailer, that was until she meant Luke when Grace was 4. Soon after Monica met Luke the 3 of them moved into a small apartment. It was good for about a week until Luke started to become mad over every little thing.

He would drink his weight in any type of liquor he could get his hands on, and Monica wasn't any better she was a drug addict. It never mattered what drug it was she would take them all, from smoking pot to shooting up heroin, she did it all. And if anything Luke would encourage her to take them because he knew as long as he kept supplying her the drugs Monica would always stay with him, and therefore Grace would always be there too.

They were too poor to afford school for Grace, she tried to tell them once when she was 7 that if they stopped spending the money on drugs and alcohol they would have enough to send her to school. Luke obviously didn't like that idea and just responded by slapping Grace across the face and sending her to her room without any dinner, while Monica stood there and watched. This often happened Luke would punish Grace in many horrid ways and Monica would just sit and watch.