4.

The lecture hall reeked of desperation. 

Everyone in the room was away from home, outside of their comfort zone, potentially jet-lagged, and most of all: alone. It'd be easy to make friends because nobody wanted to stay alone for the rest of the semester. 

Nobody, except for Nick. He didn't attempt to make awkward small talk with his neighbours; he just stared straight ahead at the beamer image projected on the wall. The first presentation sheet had a windmill with the text "Welcome to the Netherlands!" on it. 

Nick looked around him. He scanned the faces of the other students, wondering where they were all from. He wasn't planning on making friends, but he couldn't help being curious.

Nick did a double take when his eyes fell on a beautiful blonde a few rows below his. She had shiny, wavy hair and bright, blue eyes. He could only see her from the side as she talked with the girl next to her, but he bet she was even prettier from the front. She reminded Nick of that famous model from the Netherlands. Doutzen... Doutzen something.

Movement at the front caught Nick's eye, and murmuring suddenly filled the room. Blake came sauntering into the full lecture hall, dressed in a crop top Nick was pretty sure had to come from the women's section. 

Blake didn't give a shit about everyone watching him. In fact, he seemed to thrive on it. He drew the attention of the entire room, yet, somehow, he still managed to spot the one cute girl Nick had too, and took a seat in the free spot next to her. A few seconds later he and the pretty blonde were engaged in an animated conversation. Nick scowled. But what did he expect anyway? That he'd talk to her? Nick already knew wasn't going to, and he wasn't here to make friends or find a new crush to futilely chase for several years. 

At least Nick wasn't stuck sitting there and sulking for too long. An old man who introduced himself as the chancellor of this university welcomed them all to the campus. 

The man spoke with a thick Dutch accent and the introduction talk went in one ear and out the other. Nick only briefly paid attention when the group got split up for the tour around campus. They projected a bunch of names on the sheet, and had the people named walk to the front to meet their guides before moving on to the next group. When his name popped up on screen, Nick quickly scanned the rest of the names and concluded, much to his relief, he wasn't placed in a group with Blake. That was all that mattered. 

Nick played the part: he shook hands, smiled, and introduced himself to the other guys and girls in his group before instantly forgetting most of them again. He only remembered Nanda and Anthony, their Dutch guides, because it would probably be useful to know them. 

While Nick waited until his group would leave for the tour, he glanced Blake's way. A stone settled in his stomach when he saw Blake was in a group with the model-lookalike (of course he was). Before Nick could turn away and scowl, Blake caught him looking. 

"Hey, Nick!" Blake smiled widely and waved at Nick. 

Blake's yelling made the Doutzen-lookalike look at Nick and shoot him a curious glance as well. And much to Nick's horror, both Blake and the girl walked towards him. He felt his cheeks burn.

"So you two know each other?" the Dutch model asked Blake.

"Absolutely," Blake replied, still grinning broadly. "We live in the same apartment."

"Oh," the girl said, stretching the word in a meaningful way that made Nick cringe. "I see. It's nice that you can stay with someone you know. A friend, or...?"

"We know each other. That's all," Nick hastily interjected before Blake could open his mouth.

Blake snorted. "Right, Nick is always too busy playing soccer to make friends."

"You play? Awesome." The model girl smiled at Nick. "What position do you play?"

"I don't play anymore."

Even for the pretty girl, Nick couldn't get more words than that past his lips. He didn't play, and damn it, Blake knew that. He was being a dick on purpose by bringing it up. 

"We're leaving," Nick said tersely when he saw Nanda and Anthony walking towards the exit. "Catch you later." 

Nick spun on his heels and walked with the guides without awaiting Blake or the girl's reply.

The rest of the morning went by uneventfully. Nick was forced into a group picture, played some games, and he tried to remember the layout of the campus from the tour. Nick even found company in Rowan, an Ajax fan who was quiet like him. Their unspoken agreement to walk together without small talk was comfortable, and it made the others leave them both alone. 

Late in the afternoon, during the final part of the library tour, Nick found out the model girl's name was Lara. Apparently, the exchange student introduction week didn't just involve a campus tour. It also involved student parties at night, and some people thought they'd be getting lucky. Some guy from Nick's group was non-stop boasting he'd talk to Lara and would definitely get her number during one of the parties this week. The guy sounded pathetic; all talk, no action. Nick strongly doubted he'd even get anywhere near Lara, let alone ask her out. 

When the library tour was over, Nanda clapped her hands. "Okay everyone!" she called out, so she had the entire group's attention. "I get that you all want to get changed for the party tonight, so we'll have a three hour break in which you can go home. If you're coming, we meet over here at the library entrance at nine tonight. If you're not coming, we'll see you tomorrow morning at eight thirty sharp, same place."

"So, who's coming tonight?" Anthony asked, and all hands immediately shot in the air.

"Yeah, that's the spirit!" Anthony smiled, high-fiving the guy who was boasting about getting Lara's number earlier.

Nick noticed he was the only one who didn't raise his hand. It wasn't that drinking his sorrows away at a bar didn't sound good. But a solo pity party with Netflix and a good night rest sounded better.  

While all the other students were chatting amongst each other about tonight, Nick took the opportunity to quietly slip away, or so he thought. 

"Hey, Nick, wait up!" 

When Nick looked over his shoulder he saw Anthony jogging towards him to catch up. Nick grudgingly slowed down to allow it. 

"Are you not coming tonight?" Anthony asked the moment he reached Nick's side. "I mean, it's fine if you don't want to. No pressure. But you're here on exchange. You should party, you know? You can always try it once and if you hate it, just leave." 

Nick glanced at Anthony. Obviously, a guy like Anthony would say that. With his beer belly, ruddy complexion, and the permanent smile plastered on his face, he was exactly the jolly type Nick could easily picture at the bar every weekend.

"Yeah, sure. I'll be there some time but not tonight," Nick vaguely responded. He knew types like Anthony, and guys like him wouldn't stop pestering until their target had at least semi-promised they'd be there.

"Good!" Anthony jovially patted Nick's shoulder. "And don't worry man, when you decide to tag along we'll also visit some gay bars for you."

Nick nearly choked on his own spit. "I—what?"

"Yeah!" Anthony grinned. "You and Blake are gay, right?"

Heat rushed to Nick's face.  "What?" he squeaked. "No! I'm not— why do you think I am?"

Anthony's smile fell once he realised Nick was serious. "Oh, sorry man," he said, holding his hands up in defense. "I kind of assumed since you and Blake live together and Lara texted Nanda that you two, you know, 'knew each other.'"

"We know each other from common friends, nothing more," Nick sharply corrected.

"Alright, alright, got it." Anthony smiled again, as if the awkward moment between them never happened. "See you tomorrow then, Nick. Let us know if you change your mind and come tonight after all!"

"Sure. Goodnight." Nick mustered a polite half-smile for Anthony as he waved him goodbye, but that smile immediately dropped the moment the other guy was gone. What the hell? Talking about soccer in front of Lara was one thing. But why the fuck would Blake not correct people when they thought they were gay together?