10.

On an impulse, Nick did pushups, burpees and other exercises in his room for over an hour. He figured he might as well do something useful with the rare moment of motivation—even if he almost broke a lamp in the cramped room by knocking it off the nightstand with his foot.

After he was worn out and done playing home gym, Nick walked to the supermarket to buy a few beers for Lara and himself tonight. While he was at the checkout, his phone buzzed. It was Lara.

"Hey, is it okay if I bring a couple of people with me tonight to your place?" Nick mumbled her message out loud. 

He sighed. He should've seen it coming, really. Emma used to do the exact same thing near the end of their relationship—always inviting other people whenever he was planning a day out for the two of them. It was her way of hinting she wasn't into him anymore. 

'Yeah, that's fine,' Nick texted back. What else was he supposed so say? I'd actually hoped it'd be the two of us? Nick resigned to his fate and trudged back into the supermarket to get more beer. 

The walk home was a lot slower with the extra load, and the clock was ticking. By the time Nick arrived home and finished showering, it was almost ten. Blake was still in the living room behind his laptop. After countless annoyed looks in his direction, which Blake didn't seem to notice at all, Nick finally cleared his throat. "Weren't you going to take off tonight?" he asked. 

Blake looked up when Nick spoke, blinking at him owlishly. Then he yawned and stretched. "Oh, right." 

Nick waited impatiently while Blake collected his books, notes, and laptop. For a moment Nick thought Blake, for once, did what he was asked without any remarks. But at the door Blake glanced over his shoulder and grinned. "Have fun. Always use a condom."

Nick scowled at Blake's retreating back as the latter walked on and retreated into his room. 

Blake was barely gone when the doorbell rang. Nick breathed in and out deeply, then went into the hallway to let the guests in. He heard voices and laughter on the other side of the door and suddenly wondered just how many people Lara had brought with her—she hadn't exactly specified. Regardless, Nick opened the door with a smile. 

Lara's entourage turned out to be only three or so extra people Nick noted with a quick glance. That wasn't so bad. 

"Hey, come on in," he greeted all of them, stepping aside.

"Thanks!" Lara replied with a beaming smile. She walked past Nick first, heading straight towards the living room while Nick stayed at the door to let everyone else in too. 

The girl who went inside after Lara, Nick already knew. That was her friend, Mia, from the first night they went out. After her, there was a tall guy with a sharp jawline he didn't know yet. The guy nodded at Nick with a smile. 

"Hey, I'm Carson," he introduced himself.  

"Nick," Nick replied. 

"Thanks for hosting, Nick," Carson said with an amicable pat on his shoulder in the passing.

Then, Nick was faced with the fourth and final guest. As Nick finally got a good look at him, a jolt went through his body. This was definitely a familiar face. He'd been at the gay bar on Nick's first night out... hitting on him right before Nick all but dashed out the door. What was his name again? Albert? Alain? 

"Hey," the guy said with a sheepish smile. "Don't know if you remember me. I'm Alex." 

Alex, right. "Hi," Nick said, unable to return his smile. "You're a friend of Lara's too, then?"