21.

When you don't have anything to say, or don't want to talk, take out your phone to look busy. 

Nick stared down at his screen while he and Blake walked to the Ace of Spades together. It wasn't like he actually had someone to talk to, though. He briefly considered texting Sem, because his best friend had sent him a message asking how he was doing two hours ago, which Nick had left on read. He didn't want to reply 'fine, you?' like nothing had changed, but he wasn't quite ready to call Sem and tell him what had happened with Alex either. 

Alex was Nick's second option to text, but he was probably resting now after flying home while running on maybe four hours of sleep. Nick's body also still felt a little heavier after drinking that much yesterday—he'd definitely need to take it easy tonight.

"Hey, Nick?" Blake piped up, completely ignoring the fact Nick was staring at his phone to avoid conversation. 

Reluctantly, Nick turned to Blake. "Yeah?" 

"Send me the recipe of that 'Italian food' you just made." 

"Huh?" Nick blurted. "I don't need a recipe to make cacciatore." 

Blake's eyebrows shot up. "You mean... you, like, just made it up on the spot?" 

"Yeah, I check the cupboard and decide what to cook based on what we have." 

Slowly, Blake's eyebrows rose further. "That's a useful skill. Come to think of it, I've never lived with a guy, or a girl for that matter, who actually loads the dishwasher himself every night,  cooks, cleans up the kitchen after cooking, doesn't leave a mess in the bathroom, and even wipes the salon table after putting bottles on it." 

"Well, sure?" Nick replied. "If you don't clean up immediately it'll only be more work later. That's just common sense." 

Blake did a double-take to see if Nick was actually serious (he was) then burst out laughing. "Oh no, babe. That's not common sense for most students, trust me. I lived with a dude who peed in bottles and left them underneath his bed. I found out because he didn't clean them out when he left. And a girl who hoarded all the dishes and cutlery in the mini fridge in her room after eating so it wouldn't smell. And then there was the part-time criminal who'd steal your phone from your room if you forgot to lock your bedroom door when showering."  

Nick listened to Blake's stories with a healthy dose of scepticism. Nick had decided to live at his parents' place when he went to college because it was easier. Blake was his first roommate. And sure, Nick had noticed Sem and the other guys from high school were messier while they were on school trips, but he couldn't believe that many people were that gross.  

"Sounds like extreme cases," Nick said. "I'm sure most roommates are fine." 

"I wish," Blake said, snorting. "I haven't even told you the worst ones yet. You're really not that bad. As a roommate." 

"I'll take that as a compliment, I guess." Nick shrugged, wondering just how bad Blake's worst stories were if he thought sitting through an awkward dinner with an ex-bully from high school wasn't that bad. 

They arrived at the Ace of Spades a few moments later, and Nick spotted Lara and Carson sitting inside through the window. They were huddled close together, and it definitely made Nick wonder if he should leave to give them some privacy. Nick was about to tell Blake they shouldn't disturb the lovebirds when Lara suddenly glanced out the window, spotted them, and waved them over. When Nick and Blake entered the building, neither Carson nor Lara acted like they were interrupting anything. 

"About time!" Lara jokingly huffed when Blake and Nick took a seat at the table. "We can finally play some games. I've really been wanting to try Tichu." 

"I'm not sure why you're so eager to have Nick wipe the floor with us, Lara," Carson teased her. 

"You mean Nick and Blake wipe the floor with you," Blake corrected him, pretending to be indignant about being forgotten. 

"Don't pretend Nick isn't completely going to carry you," Carson laughed. "He kicked Alex' ass at Rummy and that guy worked at a casino for years!"

"Hey, do you want to switch and team up with Nick instead?" Lara nudged him in the ribs with a grin. 

"Nah, but at least we're not up against Nick and Alex. They'd steamroll everyone."

"I don't know about Alex, but I have never played Tichu. So, doubtful." Nick chuckled, feeling a little awkward about being treated like he was some sort of card game master.

Lara's gaze lingered on Nick. "Are you still talking to Alex?" she asked just a little too innocently.

Nick crossed his arms. He didn't like where this was going. "We still talk a little, yeah." 

Lara grinned at him. "I'm happy to hear that. Alex said he liked you quite a bit, and that he was happy you two at least got to hang out on his last night here." 

There was something in Lara's smile that made Nick believe she knew. She knew what he and Alex did, and there was no way in hell she would ever believe Nick wasn't completely gay now. It shouldn't matter because even if Lara was still incredibly beautiful, Nick had lost all interest in dating her because he wasn't going to chase a second 'Emma'. And no matter how friendly Lara meant to be with her remark, an uncomfortable feeling washed over Nick. 

"So, tell me, Lara," Blake leaned towards Lara, rested his chin on his hand with a cheeky grin. "Was Alex less or more obvious than Carson being into you? Oh wait, it has to be less because there's no way someone is more obvious than Carson." 

"Blake!" Lara whined, a flush rapidly spreading across her cheeks as she spread her eyes wide. Carson also didn't seem to know where to look for a moment. 

Lara and Carson's reaction surprised Nick, because it had one-hundred percent looked like a date when Nick saw them through the window. But it seemed like they didn't have that 'are we dating talk' yet, even if it was pretty in your face they liked each other. 

Blake jokingly scoffed. "Oh please, honey, don't act scandalised." He turned to Nick. "Weren't you also wondering just now whether we should make them get a room?"

"It, uh, did look like a date," Nick sputtered, not expecting Blake to suddenly address him. 

"It's..." Lara turned to Carson for help with beet-red cheeks. 

Thankfully, Carson smiled at her. "Well, I usually don't invite two other guys on my dates so this isn't one. But would you like to go on a date later?" 

Lara's eyes sparkled, and she placed her hand on top of Carson's hand and gave it a squeeze. "Yeah, I would."

"Awesome." 

In the brief silence that followed, Carson and Lara stared at each other, totally smitten, until Blake unsubtly cleared his throat. "Anyway, now that all the stating the obvious is out of the way, are we going to play Tichu or what?"

"Oh yes, of course!" Lara perked up then ducked under the table to get the game out of her bag. She placed a box with an image of a dragon on the table and opened it, revealing a set of cards. "It's a bit complicated to start, but once you get the hang of it, it's a lot of fun," she said. 

While Lara took the cards out of the box, Nick felt Blake's eyes on him. He looked to the side, and when they briefly made eye-contact, Blake winked at him before turning to Lara to listen to her explanation. The gesture confused Nick for a split second, but then he realised what Blake meant: 'I changed the topic away from Alex. You're welcome.' Blake hadn't been lying when he said he wouldn't tell Lara a thing. Nick felt a small smile tugging at his lips as he also focused his attention on Lara's animated explanation.