6.

Going to the clubs with the rest of the exchange students was a terrible idea. Not only did it give others the false impression that Nick wanted to hang out with them more than strictly necessary for school, it also quickly turned into a live flashback to Sem and Emma in high school. 

Countless times, Emma had flirted with Sem right in front of Nick. She'd chased Sem, wanted to kiss Sem—the guy who was as gay as the day was long. Somehow, Emma had felt more chemistry with a gay guy than with Nick. Whatever that was supposed to mean.

Tonight, history repeated itself all over again. 

Nick watched Lara dance and have fun with Blake on the dance floor. And Lara wasn't the only one gravitating towards Blake like a moth to a flame. He was literally surrounded by a horde of cute girls. The dream of nearly every guy in the room. Every guy but Blake, who Nick assumed would rather be chased by a horde of guys. 

Nick downed his beer in one go and slammed the glass down on the bar a little harder than necessary. The music sucked too. What the hell was the DJ doing? He kept shutting down songs at the good part. At least the drinking age wasn't restricted. Nick could get that nice buzz to carry him through the rest of the evening, which he would likely spend watching from the sideline while Blake hogged all the attention. He didn't even realise just how much he was going to need the buzz, until Anthony came up to him.

"Hey, Nick," he shouted in Nick's ear. "We're moving to the bar next door! You coming?"

Anthony gestured for Nick to come along. Nick followed the guide to the exit together with Nanda, and all the other students who had decided to tag along tonight.

"What kind of place is next door?" Nick asked Anthony once they'd stepped outside. 

Anthony smiled apologetically. "It's a gay bar," he admitted. "Not for you, though! I swear! Some other people asked if we could go there."

"Right..." Nick glanced at Blake over his shoulder. He was walking next to Lara right behind him. Nick turned back to Anthony. "Won't the people in there be annoyed by a literal invasion of straight students in their space?"

"Nah, they know it'll happen." Anthony shrugged. "It's a literal invasion of first year students for everyone during the introduction week. And, besides, it's not every week. Not even every day this week either. Don't worry about it."

"You scared of being objectified by men for a change?" Lara called out behind Nick.

Nick looked over his shoulder again, and Lara shot him a teasing smile.

"What? No!" Nick quickly denied.  

"Alright," Blake said, raising one brow with a smirk. "Then I bet you don't mind walking inside first, Nick. Go on." 

A handful of the other students had heard what Blake said and they all looked at Nick, curious how he'd respond. There was a sparkle in Blake's eyes—he was challenging Nick in front of everyone, including Lara, on purpose. 

Nick pressed his lips together, gritted his teeth, and marched into the gay bar first. The second he entered the rainbow-flagged bar, Nick felt eyes on him. When a particularly tall man who probably weighed twice as much as he did, gave him a slow once-over, Nick didn't know where to look himself. He quickly led the charge to the bar, and to his relief, Anthony and most of the other students were right behind him. 

After ordering a round of beer for the group, Nick hastily moved on to the back where he squeezed himself between Anthony and another blond guy he could've sworn was part of the exchange students... but turned out not to be at all. He took Nick squeezing up to him as an invitation, smiled, and leaned in. He shouted something in a language Nick didn't understand. It sounded German but not quite, so it was probably Dutch.

"English please?" Nick asked politely, but he was already searching for ways to escape. 

As he scanned the room, Nick's eyes fell on Blake, Lara and some other girls lounging at one of the high tables. They all grinned broadly at him being hit on. Lara even waved enthusiastically.

"Oh okay," the guy said in English in Nick's ear. Nick smelled alcohol on his breath. "What's your name?"

"I'm Nick," Nick reluctantly introduced himself. "Excuse me." 

Before the blond guy could respond Nick moved away from him, pushing his way outside of the circle of students. With gritted teeth and some elbow work he pushed himself past the dancing people and made a beeline for Blake.

"Outside," he barked at Blake, no longer caring if he was causing a ruckus or that Lara could see.

Blake looked confused, but held up his hands in a 'what can you do' gesture to his posse of girls, then followed Nick outside.

"What the hell?" Nick immediately snapped the moment they were alone. "What did you tell that guy inside? Why the hell are you spreading rumours I'm gay when you damn well know I'm not."

Blake raised a brow. "Spread rumours you're gay? Babe, are you even hearing yourself? I didn't go near the bar. How could I have talked to that guy—we've been inside five minutes. When was I supposed to have the time for that?" 

"If you didn't then..." Nick frowned. 

"Hmh," Blake hummed. "That's right. You attracted him all by your pretty self by practically pressing yourself up against him and Anthony. Congratulations."

"I... huh," Nick sputtered, feeling heat rush to his cheeks. 

That was all it took? It was flattering in a way. No matter who it was, it was always nice if someone thought you were attractive enough to hit on. Nick shook himself out of it and glared at Blake. "You did spread rumours that I was gay, though. Anthony asked me if I wanted to go to a gay bar yesterday because of you!" 

Blake snorted. "Hey, I didn't spread anything. I just didn't... dispute the assumptions other people made about you behind your back."

"You told people we live at the same place!" Nick bristled. 

"We do live at the same place."

Nick let out a frustrated growl. "That's not the point! You could've corrected them. That it didn't mean that."

"Why would I?" Blake placed his hands on his hips and titled his chin up. "You've been nothing but an asshole to me since we got here. Like I enjoy being stink-eyed by a jealous hetero at every turn. I also want a nice exchange, not being forced to hang around someone who wants me gone."

For a moment, Nick was stunned into silence. Because, shit, what was he supposed to say to that? He didn't realise how obvious it'd been what he thought about Blake. 

Blake smiled. "Well, at least you have their attention now, Nick. Lara and the other girls think it's hot. Watching guys hit on each other."

"What the fuck?" Nick frowned. "What's wrong with them?"

Blake shrugged. "Nothing. Do we ask what's wrong with guys who like watching lesbians? They're a lot better company than you are in any case. Just chill, will you? Not everyone is out to get you. Most of us are far too busy with ourselves."

With a roll of his eyes, Blake turned and went back inside the gay bar.